SIXTEEN

Aria laid on the couch in the locker room as Alex knocked her feet down sitting beside her. Aria grumbled placing her feet on his lap which he made no attempt to protest. He knew she would continue to put her feet on his lap if he knocked them down.

"What's her problem?" Izzie asks looking at a sleeping Aria while Alex shrugs in response.

"Late surgery I assume." Alex says before Izzie nodded and headed to her locker. George walked in with Meredith and Cristina.

Meredith looked at her sister and Alex with a face of confusion. Bailey walked in looking at the second year residents. "Okay, two things You all have a skills lab this morning. It is mandatory.
Don't even think about trying to get out. Second, one of you will not have to go to the mandatory skills lab because you will be assisting me in my efforts to remove an inoperable tumor from a 10-year-old girl." Bailey said before George,Alex, Cristina and Izzie tried to get out of the skills lab.

"What is that? Grey, is that anatomy jane?" Bailey asks causing Aria to look over at her sister.

"Yes." Meredith said looking at Bailey.

"With the 24 removable organs and the optional parts To simulate pregnancy?" Bailey questioned her.

"Yes. Does that mean I'm out, too?" Meredith asks looking at Bailey.

"No, that means you're in." Bailey says before Izzie tries to argue with her. Aria sighed getting up and heading to the skills lab.
~
Aria grabbed Alex arm hiding her face from Dr Hunt who was getting them to work with pigs for their skills lab. "That's disgusting smell." Aria whispered.

Izzie left not feeling comfortable working with the pigs. Aria and her interns headed over to one of the pigs beginning to find the cause of injury.
~
Aria was assisting Izzie with a patient who had been brought into the E.R. "How can you be fine with it? They're live animals?!" Izzie exclaimed while Aria rolled her eyes at her friends.

"Izzie he's an attending we're residents I want to learn and if this is the way I have to then I will. Now let's focus on our patient." Aria said at Izzie who scoffed at her.

"How are you feeling, mister, uh, hiott?" Dr Hunt asked walking over to the girls and their patient.

"Not too good." He complained while Owen looked at Izzie and Aria.

"How are we gonna make Mr. Hiott feel better?" He questioned them.

"The ultrasound showed free fluid We'll get him to a c.T. To confirm,But he's pretty much o.R. Bound." Aria said looking at the Attending.

"Excellent. Is that tetanus?You know who you have to thank for the invention Of the tetanus shot, stevens?Horses. The first experiments-- done on horses." Owen said looking at Izzie who shared a look with Aria.

"He's an ass." Izzie mumbled causing Aria to smile.

"Probably." Aria agreed before checking over the patient again.
~
"Stevens, have you ever used a g.I.A. Stapler?" Owen asks looking at Izzie and Aria.

"No, but I'm ready. I can handle it." Izzie said confidently.

"Answer me three questions, and I'll let you. Okay.Question one--polio vaccine.Which animal do you have to thank for that?" Owen questioned her.

"Is this really necessary?" Izzie questions as Aria watched the scene play out.

"Only if you want to use that stapler." He warned her as Izzie looked at Aria who gave her a small nod.

"Flipper babies." She answered confusing Owen.

"What?" He questions her.

"Flipper babies. 10,000 babies were born with birth defects in the 1950s because their pregnant mothers took thalidomide. First developed on guinea pigs.The guinea pigs didn't have any side effects." Izzie answered him.

"Your point?" He asks her.

"My point is that humans and animals Have different physiologies, they have different reactions. They can have different reactions." Izzie said to him

"Doesn't mean that they will." Owen says to her while Aria looked slightly confused.

"Tell that to those 10,000 babies and their mothers." Izzie said to him.

"So the polio vaccine--developed using mice and monkeys." Owen says handing the stapler to Izzie.

"You can keep your stapler. It's not worth it." Izzie said while aria smiled at her which she returned.
~
Aria and Alex were heading to Joe's as they saw Izzie standing alone. "Hey Iz." Aria says as she turns to look at Aria and Alex.

"You want to join us at Joe's?" Alex asks while Izzie looks at them both.

"I think I'm just going to head home. I've had a hard day." Izzie says turning away from the duo.

"All the more reason to come for a drink and I won't take no for an answer." Aria says linking her arm around Izzie and pulling her to Joes bar.
~
Izzie stood talking to Adam as Aria had introduced them. "How do you think it's going?" Aria asks as Alex hands her a bottle of beer.

"I don't know why don't you go find out." Alex says before aria hits his chest causing him to a laugh.

"Maybe I should set you up next I'd say I've got a knack for this." Aria says smiling at Alex who chuckles.

"I think I'm good." Alex says as Aria smirks at him.

"You've got your eye on someone? Who is it?" Aria questions him as Alex looked into her blue eyes.

"It doesn't matter." Alex said shrugging it off as she watched him.

"You always do this. Shrug everything off. You know you'll meet someone. And they won't go crazy or pee on my couch." Aria says trying to lighten the mood.

"I never felt anything for Rebecca it was an infatuation and then we were friends. And maybe I've already met my person." Alex says while Aria watches him closely a slight pit forming in her stomach.

She didn't want to feel this way but she couldn't help feeling the anger and sadness at his comment. But she knew she wanted Alex to be happy and the other feelings didn't make sense to her.

"Well I'm sure whoever she is she'll be lucky to have you." Aria said faking a smile unaware of the brewing feeling either of them felt.