SEVENTEEN

Aria woke up trying to catch her breath as her dreams continued to become more intense. She would either find herself dreaming about Alex or having nightmares of her mother.

Meredith had found their mothers old journals. She had left a collection in Arias room which she had read. However memories of her childhood had arisen which were leading to the nightmares.

Ellis spent the best part of the girl's childhood pushing them to be more than ordinary. Her words were drilled into Aria and often lead to the eldest Greys insecurities. Aria tried hard to push her thoughts away but sometimes she felt her words were true.

Aria headed downstairs to grab a glass of water as she found Derek sat at the kitchen table. "What are you doing awake it's 4am?" Aria asked pouring herself a glass of water.

"Meredith is on the phone to Cristina again." Derek said in a rough voice from the lack of sleep. "What about you?" He asks looking at Aria.

Aria took a sip of her water looking down at her glass. "Just thirsty." She mumbled sitting at the opposite side of the table.

"Are you sure that's all it is? You look a little pale." Derek says observing Aria who gave him a small smile.

"I'm fine I should head back up. Maybe sleep on the couch you look a little rough." Aria said causing Derek to smile slightly before she headed back to her bed.

Aria laid looking at the ceiling before getting back up and heading across the hall. She knocked on Izzie's door but got no reply. She opened it slightly to find her room empty. Aria sighed before turning back before she ran into Alex.

Alex wrapped his arms around her to prevent her from falling. "What you doing wondering about?" Alex asks yawning as he looked at Aria with concern.

"I was just looking for Izzie I can't sleep." She mumbled as Alex looked at her.

"I think she was staying with a friend. Come on." Alex says pulling her into his room before climbing into his bed. "I won't bite." He chuckled as Aria carefully walked and sat beside him.

"You wanna talk or just sit in silence because I'm good with either." Alex mumbled to her before laying down.

"Just those stupid journals Meredith found it's like they've opened some things I'd like to forget." Aria admitted before laying beside Alex.

"Stuff with your mom?" He asked her before Aria nodded in response. She never really opened up about her relationship with Ellis or her childhood. But she had told Alex parts of it.

"Yeah even when she's gone she still manages to get in my head. It's stupid." Aria says while Alex watches her.

"No things manage to find a way in especially when we don't want them to. But she's gone and your here you don't need to worry about her anymore. Now it's late and I'm tired so go to sleep." Alex said before closing his eyes while aria smiled.

She felt some comfort knowing he was beside her as she quickly drifted to sleep. Alex opened his eyes slightly seeing her sleeping figure. She looked calmer than she had in a long time. He knew she struggled more than she'd admit but Aria was strong and stubborn. She'd never admit it but she needed someone and that could be him.
~
"Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce...
Stan.State-of-the-art computerised patient simulator.Stan can educate you in airway management,trauma assessment and care.
He breathes, he pulsates, he seizes,he haemorrhages, he secretes.And he speaks. Hello, Stan." Richard says looking at the Residents.

"Hello, doctor.I'm not feeling well." Stan the robot answered back looking at the chief.

"Stan'll tell you what he needs.He's more forgiving than most patients.You kill him, he'll keep coming back for more. Make good use of him, people." Richard tells them before heading off to his patient.

"We're operating on robots?Can we go back to pigs?What about people?" The residents ask Bailey.

"When the chief decides who gets the first solo surgery, be ready." Bailey says to them.

"Solo surgery?" All the residents began questioning Bailey as Aria stood watching.

"When do we find out?Is he deciding soon?" The other five question her.

"I do not know what it will be,I do not know when it will be.I do know that the winner should be prepared to do any surgical procedure, and
will choose one intern to scrub in.So practice your skills, impress your attendings and do not make me look stupid.Grey, Stevens, you're with Hahn. Older Grey your with Shepherd.Yang, the pit. Karev and O'Malley,you're Skills Lab. Get to know..." Bailey says pointing at the robot before Aria when to find Derek.
~
"The kind of metastases you have are prone to spontaneous bleeding.So there are considerable risks to the surgery." Derek explains to the patient.

"You're saying this one...Might be dicier." The couple asked the three doctors.

"Much dicier than previous surgeries." Bailey explains to them.

"I want to be clear, you can live with this. For months, if not longer." Derek says to her.

"Not... Not like this.Not feeling this bad.I understand risks are part of the package.
That's why you people make me go cross-eyed signing all these forms." She says to Derek.

"You're signing a "Do Not Resuscitate" order?" Aria asks her looking at the patient.

"If it's my time..." she says to them.

"Doesn't want to be on life-support.She'd hate that." Her husband says to them.

"I just hate lying around like that.I don't want that." Rosemary explains to them.

"OK." Derek says offering her a small smile.

"Goodbye, darling.Goodbye, love.Sorry. We do this every time.She signs the paper, we kiss goodbye.Then after the surgery, we say hello again." The couple explained to the surgeons.

"Sounds like a plan to me.You rest up. We'll be bringing you up soon." Bailey says to them.

"That there is the Holy Grail of marriage." Bailey says to Derek and Aria as they walk out of the patients room.

"Something to aspire to." Derek pondered looking at Aria as he was reminded of Meredith.
~
"It was a difficult surgery,especially at her age.
We're not sure how she's going to respond." Derek explained to her husband.

"Oh, sure.The waiting is always the hard part." Ed tells them.

"Ed, she might not make it through the night." Derek told him.

"I know.I know." Ed says to them as he sits with his wife.
~
Aria walked into the basement where the residents were practicing on Corpses. Aria sat beside Alex sighing. "What's up with you?" Lexie asks looking at her eldest sister.

"Shepherd and Bailey have this patient Rosemary. She and her husband have done this so many times. They are like the holy grail of marriage and I hope she pulls through so they can say Hello to one another again. It'd be cool to have that. Someone who no matter what through the good and the bad still stand by your side 40 years from now." Aria contemplated as Alex watched her. Meredith also listened closely to her sister as did Lexie.
~
Aria headed into her room as she found Alex sat on the end of her bed. "What are you doing in here?" Aria asked him.

Alex held up two bottles of beer as Aria chuckled taking one of the bottles. Aria sat beside Alex as the two spent the evening talking about anything and everything.

Aria looked at Alex as he was laughing at something she had said. Her eyes met his before falling onto his lips. Alex leaned forward as her blue eyes focused on his every move. Alex placed his lips against her as her eyes fluttered shut.

Aria's hands cupped his cheeks as Alex wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her closer to him. The two quickly became lost in one another neither one of them wanting to pull away.