71-75

Green Dragon Totem_Chapter 71_NovelHi

novelhi.com

     On the twenty-third day of the twelfth lunar month, the Second Sage led all his officials to the plaza of the Taiji Palace to offer sacrifices to the heavens and end the new year.

A majestic procession of ceremonial guards was stationed in this enormous plaza that was several dozen li in circumference. The grand ceremony lasted from afternoon to evening. During this time, the Emperor and the Empress sat side by side at the very front of the imperial tent. The Crown Prince brought along his younger brothers Li Xian, Li Xian, and Li Dan, the Prince of Zhou, and Li Dan, the Prince of Ji, to attend to them. The civil and military officials were arranged according to their ranks.

Because it was the eve of the new year, after the long sacrificial speech, there was a banquet of singing and dancing. Delicacies and delicacies were served to every table. The Emperor intended to show off the merits of Yu Tian's submission. He had the Prince of Yu Tian and the Princess sit next to him. He also had Shan Chao, who had been particularly agreeable to the Emperor, sit next to him.

Shan Chao was not very enthusiastic about the banquets and dances of the palace. His gaze was downcast as he pondered over something. Suddenly, he heard the Emperor ask with a chuckle, "Why are you in a daze? Is the food in the palace not to your taste? "

Several gazes were cast over from the surrounding officials' seats. They all had different expressions as they sized up this newly promoted celebrity.

The Emperor had asked in public, even noticing that Shan Chao had not touched his chopsticks. This was actually a sign of importance. However, this question was rather subtle. If he answered yes or no, it would be easy to become a laughingstock in front of the other officials from aristocratic families.

"Many thanks for Your Imperial Majesty's concern." Shan Chao stood up and warmly replied, "Reporting to Your Imperial Majesty, the food is indeed not to my taste."

The Emperor asked with interest, "Oh?"

"This official has fought beyond the Great Wall for eight years. My eating habits are no different from those of the northwestern tribes. In the depths of winter, I often share strong wine with the soldiers to ward off the cold. As a result, I am not used to the palace wine. I hope Your Imperial Majesty will forgive me."

Shan Chao's reply was natural and smooth. He also faintly pointed out his difficult life on the frontier. The Emperor was immediately delighted. "Yes, it was Our negligence! Someone, bring strong wine to General Zhongwu! "

The palace servants immediately passed on the order. After a short while, a new jug of wine was brought. Shan Chao poured himself a cup of strong wine and downed it in one gulp. Bowing, he said, "Many thanks for Your Imperial Majesty's generous reward."

"Okay, okay." The Emperor liked it very much, and on a whim, had someone pour him a cup of strong wine to drink. He smacked his lips and asked with a smile, "What do you think of this wine?"

"It has a mellow aftertaste. It is indeed a fine wine." Shan Chao paused and changed the topic, "But compared to the coarse wine that I drank with my fellow soldiers in the barracks, it seems to lack some flavor. Your Majesty, please forgive me."

At that moment, everyone had the same thought — You've had enough!

It was one thing for him to act tough once in a while to win the Emperor's favor, but what was the meaning of this? If he had the ability, he should ask the Emperor to send him back to the Northwest to eat sand!