Kabanata 4

~ ALEX ~

[Situation: How to survive a dragon's flare?]

The working industry is no joke. When I thought I'm ready to face adult life, I was shut down before I could even reach the gate. No wonder new grads and anyone working full time were always stressed and busy. They always need to strive higher and work harder to survive in this cruel world.

After my unfortunate lunch with Brielle, she seemed to have swallowed her tongue and decided to not say a word on our way back to the company. She quietly walked past anyone until we reached the office. She's acting like a child again and throwing a hissy fit.

"Welcome back sir, tumawag po pala si Mr. Dominguez kanina. If you can call back daw po. Hindi daw po kayo macontact sa phone n'yo," Meg reported as soon as I was about to enter my office.

Ano namang kailangan ng ulupong na 'yon? Akala ko ba may photoshoot s'ya sa Singapore ngayong linggo kaya 'di s'ya pwedeng istorbohin.

"I'll take care of that. Meg, if you can, can you reschedule all my appointments this afternoon."

"Sir?"

Halatang nagulat s'ya sa sinabi ko. I don't usually reschedule work for another day, unless it's an emergency. Usually, I'll move it an hour later or earlier, depending on who I am meeting but when it comes to Brielle or sometimes mom. I have no choice but to cancel or reschedule tasks for another day, especially when they're throwing tantrums like a child.

"If you can spread them out this week, the better."

"S-Sige po, Sir."

"Thank you. Did you buy what I asked you?"

"Yes sir. Kailangan n'yo na po?"

"No. Give it to her later."

"Ah, sige po."

Meg left afterwards. As for myself, I have to face someone who's throwing tantrums. I let out a deep breath before facing the entrance to my office.

"Ma, nasa work pa ako. Pwede mamaya na lang. Si ate na lang tawagan mo''

"..........''

She's busy talking on her phone when I walked in. She just looked at me to signal me to give her a minute to wrap it up.

I made myself comfortable on one of the guest chairs and placed both my feet on the chair across. I could have sat on my swivel chair and started working while waiting for her but she's been sitting there lazily spinning round and round like it was some ride at an amusement park.

"Sige na ma, bye."

I was busy reading some papers when she's finally done with the call. It took a while, but if that's her mom who called, then it's normal to have long conversations with her.

"Pasensya na. Nag-iinarte nanaman si mama kaya kinailangan kong sagutin ang tawag.''

"It's none of my business." I shrug before tilting my head in her direction. "Can I have my seat now?" I sarcastically asked.

"Oh, Anong problema sa upuan mo ngayon? Ayos naman. Mukang relax ka pa nga dahil nakapatong 'yang mga paa mo sa kabilang silya."

Tch. Should have known. She won't budge.

"Brielle, I have a lot of work to do so can we finish the interview and be done with it."

"Iyon naman talaga ang sadya ko." She rummages through her bag before handing me a piece of paper. "Oh ito na ang mga tanong, paki sagot na lang."

My forehead creased as I read the questions that should be asked during the interview. "What am I supposed to do with this? Aren't you supposed to ask the question, write my answers and record our conversation?"

"Oo nga. I wrote down the questions to ask. Now you just have to write your answers and record yourself answering the question. Wala naman sigurong problema doon diba. Sa magazine naman ipublish yung interview hindi sa radio or TV."

This woman. I knew she's crazy since we met. Tss.

"After this, I'll make sure your boss hears about your behaviour before, during and after this so-called interview."

"Oh susumbong mo ko kay Max? Hindi ibig sabihin na kaibigan mo ang gwapong iyon, gagamitin mo ang pagkakaibigan n'yo para lang sirain ang magandang reputasyon ko sa trabaho." She said while busily opening games on my computer. When did I even have games downloaded?

"Maganda? What kind of reputation do you have if you can't even conduct a decent interview?"

She looked pissed but she's still focused on her game.

"Excuse me lang. Hindi ako interesado sa kung ano man ang ganap sa buhay mo, whether it's business or pleasure. Kung hindi lang nakataya ang promotion ko dito, hindi naman talaga ako pupunta."

"Then why didn't you just ask for a transfer instead of going through the trouble like this. If you really want a career in literature just apply at a different publishing company."

She shut up after what I've said. I don't know what she's thinking but she long ago stopped playing with the computer and that's when I saw troubled emotions. Like she was somehow about to cr-

"Brielle."

"Hah? Sagutin mo na nga iyan."

She averted her eyes and continued to play games on my computer. I'm not sure what kind of emotion it was but it was the first time since I met her that I've seen it.

I don't like that expression on her. I'll let it pass for now but just for today.

[Conclusion: The dragon is expressive. When the dragon breathed fire, the colors changed depending on her feelings and mood. You're not going to burn every time she puff.]

xx