Kabanata 8

~ ALEX~

[Situation: How to stop time from ticking?]

Papers. Contracts. Emails and an uninvited guest.

"You're late. Is this the right time for a CEO to be coming to work?" I sighed. Why do I have to deal with this woman so early in the morning?

"I had a breakfast meeting with a client at 0630, a site visit at 0800, a contract signing with a new business partner at 0845, and another meeting with the head of the departments at 10. And now, I have papers waiting to be signed and emails waiting to be read. I want to get to it as soon as I get back to the office but for some reason an uninvited guest showed up. Again." I was glaring at her as I made my way to my desk where all the paperwork was waiting.

For some reason, she was able to lure Meg, the staff at the front desk and the guards to let her in even without a pass or any appointment. Seriously, How did she even manage to do that?

"Oh, feel free to do your work. I don't mind," she nonchalantly said.

"And can I have my seat back? I need to use the computer to check my emails."

Every time she comes here, she always sits at that swivel chair and uses the computer to either download new games or do some online shopping.

"Pwede ka namang umupo d'yan sa sofa. May laptop ka naman na pwedeng gamitin to check your emails and other things." She motioned her hand without even giving a glance.

She's so focused on whatever she's doing again. Sometimes I wonder where she really works. Or if she really has a job or not.

"What are you here for, Brielle? As far as I remember, I don't have any appointment or interview for City Scoop."

"I know. Even if there is, I'm not gonna bother interviewing you again."

"You never did an interview. I answered the damn questionnaire you wrote like it was a test paper."

''Oh really? Don't remember, don't care." Her eyes still glued on the computer, as the clicking of the mouse continued.

Patience Level: ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱▱▱▱ 61%

"So are you going to tell me, why or I'm going to keep guessing?"

"Keep guessing. It's fun."

Annoyance Level: ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱ 85%

"I don't have time for this. Can you leave."

"Ah, I will not? I made an effort to get to your office and now you're just going to ask me to leave? No way."

"Then what the hell are you doing here?"

"Sitting."

F*ck it. I don't care anymore level: ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱ 99.97%

I slump at the sofa, take the papers by the table, open my laptop and start doing my work. There's no point talking to this woman right now, her brain ran away from her head and her sanity had killed itself.

___

Time check: 12:05pm

"Alexander. I'm hungry." The swivel chair squeaked as she lay on her back. She's probably done playing or got bored.

"Then go eat."

"Libre mo."

"And why?"

"Cause you're nic-"

She stopped talking when we heard my phone ring. It was mom. What does she want now?

"Hello?"

"Xander anak, kumusta? Nasa meting ka ba? Lunch? Date?"

"I'm still at the office, Mom." I lay my back against the sofa as I close my eyes and massage my forehead. "May kailangan po ba kayo?" I calmly asked.

"Yes. Anak your lolo Enrico is visiting this weekend and he wanted to see you."

"WHAT?!" "ANO?!" My voice tangled with someone else in shock.

Napatingin ako kay Brielle dahil sa biglang pagtaas ng boses niya. Halos sabay lang rin kaming nagsalita at base sa reaction niya, mukang may kausap rin ito sa phone na naging sanhi ng pagkagulat nito.

"Mom, that's too sudden."

"I know pero alangan namang sabihin kong busy ka sa pagpapatakbo ng negosyo ng tatay mo, edi nagalit yun. Alam mo namang bad blood ang lolo Enrico mo sa lahat ng bagay na may ka-ugnayan sa ama mo."

"Ugh. Why now?"

Enrico Silviera, mom's father, is a strict person. He's one of those people who believe in the olden ways. Sometimes I wonder if he's stuck in the early 1900s by the way he is disciplined. Since my parent's divorce, he despite my father and anything related to him.

Honestly, I'm surprised by how he still cares for my well being considering my father's blood runs through my veins.

"I know anak, but he's persistent. Sabi niya gusto ka raw niyang kausapin sa importanteng bagay. Wala naman akong maisip na ibang bagay na gusto niyang pag-usapan kung 'di negosyo kaya malamang iyon ang paguusapan n'yo."

More likely. He's going to talk to me about selling my dad's company, that I managed or something in between. Tch.

"Xander-anak, nand'yan ka pa ba?"

"Yes mom. I'll meet with him."

"Oh good. Anyway Xander, your grandfather aside, baka naman may gusto kang ipakilala sa-"

"Bye mom, I love you."

"Wai-"

I ended the call as soon as possible. I don't need to hear what mom has to say about my relationship or anything related right now.

"Sige na Ma. Bye," I heard Brielle muttering.

Looks like she's also done with her phone call. Such a pain.

"Such a pain," she said

I saw her lean back to the chair like all her energy had been extracted from her body.

"Bad news?" I asked

"Terrible news."

I nod. I feel the same.

"Headache?" she asked

"Pain in the ass,"

She nodded.

"Are you going home this weekend?" We both said at the same time.

No one said anything after that, because right there and then, we knew we couldn't run away. We know that there's no turning back.

[Conclusion: You don't. Time won't stop moving no matter what you do, but a clock can stop ticking if you want it to.]

xx