Kabanata 36

~ ALEX~

[Situation: What is a scar?]

A week has passed since then, but there's no improvement in the situation. Bria stayed in the hospital almost every day, only leaving for a few hours to take a shower and grab some change clothes, while Brielle and I had been watching over her from time to time.

"How are you feeling today?"

Brianna tried to smile, but it looked forced. She's been caving in here for weeks, and fatigue has been visible on her face. Whenever I get a chance in between office hours, I visit her to know how she's doing. Brielle stays with her most of the time, but due to prior responsibilities, she can only come after work and stay until early morning before she goes to work.

"Did you eat?" She shook her head.

"Wala akong gana," she responded.

"You at least need nutrients para naman may lakas ka."

She was quiet for a while, so I took the chance to prepare the food I cooked this morning.

"Here. It's a light and easy to digest." I gave her porridge but she ignored it. "Come on Bri, you need to eat."

"Xander, hindi ko rin malalasahan 'yan. Ikaw na lang kumain o kaya, ibigay mo na lang kay Brielle kapag dumating siya."

I sighed before moving closer to her so we could talk. "Bri, you know I care about you, right?" She nodded. "Then please, have something to eat. Maraming nag-aalala sa iyo."

"I know. I'm sorry, but Drake-"

"Lalo na si Drake. Sigurado akong hindi siya matutuwa kapag nalaman niyang pinapabayaan mo na ang sarili mo."

Brianna has always been emotional. Unlike Brielle na kayang suportahan ang sarili kapag naghaharap sa matitinding sitwasyon, at kayang magbigay ng suporta sa mga kaibigan at kapamilyang nangangailangan, hindi kayang mag-isa ni Brianna. Madali siyang makalimot sa sarili kapag busy o kaya'y may problema, kaya minsan ang hirap niyang iwanang mag-isa dahil hindi mo alam kung anong pwede niyang gawin.

"Si Avy?"

"She'll be here later. Late lang siguro."

"Is she okay? Hindi ba siya balisa o pagod?"

"Bri, kilala mo ang kapatid mo. Mas malakas pa siya sa kalabaw. She's fine. May trabaho lang siya pero sigurado akong darating din siya mamaya."

She nodded before continuing her food. It is better for her to focus on one thing at a time. Kung pwede lang ako ang pumalit sa sitwasyon ni Drake bumalik lang ang dati niyang sigla, matagal ko nang ginawa. If only.

"Thank you, Xander. Kung wala ka dito siguro nabaliw na 'ko sa kaiisip."

"Hindi mo kailangang magpasalamat. Kahit sino naman gagawin ang lahat para sa taong mahal nila."

She went quiet after that. I wasn't sure if she heard me or not, but then I realized what I just said. F*ck.

"I- Bri, I did-"

"I know. It's all in the past.

It was. It's been a while, and things have changed but it's not that easy to just forget someone who played a big part of your life.

If it was, I'm sure there's millions of people who would love to forget certain things in life, especially if they've captured the heart. Nonetheless, Brianna Eviee's still my first love, and that won't change even after forever.

_____

The next few days we still go back and forth from work to the hospital. Today, Brielle took a paid day off to be with Bria until Drake's parents arrived from London.

"Luv, don't you need to rest?"

"Ayos lang, hindi naman ako pagod."

I sighed. Right now, I'm more worried about my wife. She's been restless. Everytime I tried to tell her to rest, she ignored me, almost closing herself off and rejecting my help.

"If you needed anything, just let me know." She didn't respond. She's just staring blankly at Bria who's sleeping on her lap.

I let her be for a while until I went to work, but when I thought I could take a half-day, it turned to almost an all nighter.

It was eleven when I got home. I didn't expect to take that long, I thought I would still have time to go back to the hospital.

"Oh, you're home."

I was surprised to see Brielle still awake, and home. Nowadays we can't even see each other due to work and Brianna's situation.

"Yea, still busy. Sorry, couldn't help out much." I responded.

"Mas mabuti pa magpahinga ka na. May work ka pa ba bukas?"

"I do, but I'll be taking a half-day tomorrow so I can visit."

"No need. Masyado ka nang maraming ginagawa, I can managed."

I was confused at the way she said those words. She usually doesn't mind if I visit or help out.

Come to think of it, these past few days, she's been cold or better yet...rejecting me.

"Luv, tell me, have I done something wrong?" My heart beats fast when she keeps silent, as if not wanting to answer my question. "Luv-"

"Alexander, bukas na lang tayo mag-usap. I need to go."

"Brie, it's almost midnight. It's past visiting hours." I stood up and faced her.

What's happening? She's more rational than this. She's usually on top of her game.

I don't have a good feeling about this. It worries me. No, it scares me.

"It's Brielle."

"What?"

"It's not Brie. Don't ever call me that, Alex."

I was dumbfounded by what I heard. My body felt frozen in the tone of her voice. It felt like a wall had yet again built in between us preventing me from coming closer.

[Conclusion: Scars are just like old memories, they may be gone and passed the time, but they leave a mark that remind us of a certain chapter in life.]

xx