Kabanata 34

~ ALEX~

[Situation: When does the wind blow?]

A blessed day to relax and enjoy life. When Aileen asked this morning if I had planned something for Brielle for our half a year marriage celebration, I just planned to take her out on a cruise ship dinner. But Aileen gave me a different outlook, which I incorporated in our dinner celebration.

"So, let me get this straight." She points at me using a dessert fork she's using while eating her favorite cheesecake. "Aileen planned this, and so you went along, Right?"

"She did give me the idea, but I planned all of this."

"Talaga? Pati iyong mga decoration at music?" She dubiously asked.

"Yes."

"Paano ka naman niya na-convince? Effort din ah."

"Well.. that's between us."

She squints her eyes, "Sus."

"Just eat Brielle, there's an oreo cheesecake as well if you want."

"Yay, perfect. Ask them to bring it in."

I did as she told me to distract her and change the topic at hand. It's not that I don't want her to know the conversation with Aileen just made me realize a few other things in life.

~

"Alex, mahigit kalahating taon na rin kayong kasal ni Brielle, how was it?"

"We're good. Same old gutsy and bold Brielle, but manageable."

"Hm, so nothing changes?" Her tone of voice seems to be insinuating something I can't pinpoint.

"Ai, you're up to something. What is it?"

She shrugs, " Hindi ko alam. Alam ko namang biglaan iyong kasal niyo dahil sa lolo mo, but as someone who watched the both of you since student days, I got this feeling that you two have grown closer and at some point intimate."

"Intimate?How?"

"Alex naman, you've been with women. You should know what I mean."

"Ai, Brielle, and I are nothing but friends. She just needed a little bit of extra attention since she's a walking disaster."

"I don't know, 'lex. Iba kasing nakikita ko."

"And what would that be?"

"Try to think about it," she paused. "Brielle has always displayed great confidence in front of people, and at the same time, you're too stern and proud at work, but all those defenses you've built can shatter in an instant whenever Brielle's concern. And the same goes for her. You're like each other's Achilles' heel."

~

"Alexander, nakikinig ka pa ba?"

"Ah, yeah. I am."

"Weh, 'di nga. Anyway, are we done here? Gusto ko nang umuwi"

"Wait. There's one more place I wanted to take you." I stood up, took her hand, and led her to the coast where our yacht was waiting.

After the talk with Aileen, I did think over what she said and after mulling over it for a while, things just started to fall to pieces like a perfect fit puzzle. But I know it won't be easy. I know I have to work my way to gain her trust again. If I can do that, even if just a little bit, it will give me hope.

"Wha- Ano 'yan? Bakit may yate?"

"Would my darling wife give me the honor to spend a few more hours on this simple trip around the island?"

It took a while before she responded, but when she did, it made me smile. "Gladly."

We board the yacht and roam around the island. The cold breeze wrapped around the both of us like a blanket as the full moon watched us in our night rendezvous.

"How do you feel, Luv?" I walked by her side to see the same view as she's looking.

"I'm not sure. Happy, relaxed, delighted. I don't know." Her eyes spark as she tells me how she feels, like overflowing water in a tub, her emotions filled with glee.

"I'm happy to hear that."

"Ikaw? Masaya ka ba?" She asked in a hesitant tone.

I held her hands and led her to the deck while I pretended to think about her question.

"Alexander?" she called once more, but I didn't respond.

When we reached the deck, only the moon and the light of the stars shone through. As we engrossed in the night light, I slowly placed her palms on my shoulders, then wrapped my hands around her waist. And as if on cue, an enchanting melody hummed in the background, making us waltz into its sound.

"You're acting weird, Xander." She's looking at me intently as she says those words.

"Am I?"

"Yes," she answered without hesitation.

A tiny smirk escapes my lips as I see her face change from confusion to glare. Were her emotions always this easy to read? Before I say another word, I bend down and give her forehead a gentle kiss. "I just wanted to spend time with my wife tonight, can't I?" I ended up whispering.

I moved a little to create a distance between us, only to see her face flush in the shade of red.

"You're blushing, Luv." I chuckled, only to be slapped by the arm.

"Hindi nakakatuwa."

"I know. Sorry about that, but really, I just wanted to be with you, Brielle." I pulled her closer to mine once more until we were an inch apart from each other. I can feel her heartbeat close to my chest as I look into her eyes as it glimmers in through the night. "Luv, can I kiss you?"

The words almost gave me a heart attack. Even Brielle was shocked. I didn't prepare those words to come out of my mouth, and yet they came out as if it's a ring that fits the finger.

But before I could even save myself from embarrassment, she surprised me with her answer.

"If I say yes, will you stay with me?" Her words sounded like a whisper, but enough for me to hear and let my heart leap in glee.

I didn't expect this situation, but if fate was on my side, then I'll go along with it and honestly replied, "Yes, as long as you want me to be."

Words full of promise and sincerity, I never thought I would ever say. But when it comes to Brielle, my heart always has its way to keep me grounded and speak the truth.

"Yes."

I didn't need to be told twice. The moment those words escape her lips, I let our lips crush into each other. A kiss is different from our first, our engagement, and even our wedding. It feels perfect.

"Stay with me," I whispered in between, hoping time would freeze so I could be with her longer.

Her eyes mirrored mine as if our thoughts collide as one. When I thought she wouldn't respond anymore, I tried to break away, but before I could put any more distance between us, she pulled me closer until our lips touched once more and shared a more daring and passionate kiss.

[Conclusion: A heart that beats is like a wind that blows. It can never contain no matter how much we try to sustain or prevent it from feeling intense emotions. Whether it's a stormy heartache, a hurricane romance, or a breezy first love, the heartbeats the more it feels, just like how we feel whenever the wind blows.]

xx