Kabanata 12

~ ALEX~

[Situation: When did the old record start to play again?]

Morning jog. Since I came here, I haven't had a chance to go out and explore the village. I had stayed in the estate, working, and sending emails. As for Gramps, he left yesterday. He said he has to prepare for my new position in his company and discuss a few things with the board members. He also breaks the news about my non-existent girlfriend-future fiance to my mother, who had been delighted and over the moon since she heard it. She already started calling a few of her friends for a tea party next week for my soon to be engagement.

Honestly, I can never figure out mom. She's already in her mid-40s yet she still acts like a brat who's about to have her birthday party. And for some reason, gramps agreed with whatever mom's planning.

Shit just getting from bad to worse.

After the talk with gramps, I called dad and gave him some updates about the conversation with gramps, but before I could even finish the story, he burst out laughing. On top of that, he told me that I could make money entertaining gramps if I wanted to and to update him when the next chapter of the story would be.

Seriously, that's all he said. If mom was a brat, then dad was a carefree teenager who lived by the moment and up for every challenge along the way.

I honestly have the worst parent and child situation. Do I even have parents, or was I the parent, and they're the children? It felt like I'm the one being led around by their antics.

I can't keep up with my family's way of thinking, so I decided to go out of the house and run to clear my head. I haven't been here for a long time, so might as well explore and enjoy my remaining days in the village.

I headed south until the basketball court then headed west to the hill where I can have the view of the fields and the whole village. I used to stay here, climbing on top of a tree to view the sunset and everything around it or staying by the foot of the tree to paint the whole scene-

"Looks like they made it as a view deck. It used to not have any railings by the hillside or benches here but now, there were chairs and tables for picnics and an area for the best view to take a photo of the sunset," I said as I walked to the deck area.

She was stunned when she heard my voice but she didn't look back and kept her gaze over the fields. I moved closer to her until we were both looking at the same view.

"Are you sad?" she asked not to make any eye contact. "Your safe haven is turned into a tourist spot."

"Not really." I shrugged. "I already knew it wouldn't be hidden in the next few years or so. The view is amazing."

She smiled. We didn't say anything after. We stayed quiet and enjoyed the gentle breeze that kissed our skin, the singing birds and children laughing down the hill, and the view from the top of this amazing landscape.

"Nag-usap na kami ni mama," she break the ice.

"I talked to Gramps."

She chuckled. "Terrible idea?"

I snorted. I don't even know where to begin.

"Could have been worst," I answered

"Yeah. Me too."

She didn't say anything after until the sun finally illuminated the sky. She turned her back and started walking away.

"Hey." I called, but didn't bother looking back. I'm sure she didn't either, but I knew she's there when I heard no footsteps moving in either direction. "Coming home. I'm glad it's with you."

"I wish I could say the same." Her reply was in a softer tone, but still audible.

"You don't have to."

She was quiet. I didn't even expect her to say any more words.

"I'm glad you're back and I'm happy that you kept your promise, Xander."

[Conclusion: When you played the song to our heartbeat]

xx