Kabanata 22

~ ALEX~

[Situation:What binds us?]

After the event that happened, Brielle and I went back to the cottage to talk about the predicament. She managed to dodge her sister's questions at the party by telling her we have to discuss a few things with my side of the family so she let her go but I don't know how we'll be able to keep it up.

"Alexander! Give me the contract."

Sheesh. Wait what?

"Akala-"

"Akala mo lang 'yon. Maraming namamatay sa maling akala."

She grabbed the contract on my desk before sitting down and reading through it.

We were in the middle of discussion a while ago when her phone rang, and she went out to answer. I guess whoever that was, made her change her mind and accept the contract.

"Here,'' she returned.

I open the folder and look into it. The purpose is still the same but under agreed upon, there were changes.

"Farm land?" I asked

"Hindi ko alam kung naaalala mo pero may lupang sinasaka ng mga magulang ko. Nagkataoon na hindi naging maganda ang ani nitong nakaraan kaya kinukuha na ng banko ang lupa. Gusto ko sanang tulungan mo ko na mabalik ito sa pangangalaga namin. Alam kong sabi nila mama, ayos lang pero iyon na ang nagsilbing kabuhayan ng aking pamilya kaya gusto kong walang magbago. Huwag kang mag-alala, babayaran kita ng hulugan."

That's easy enough to do.

"Wala namang problema doon pero bakit kailagan pang bayaran mo pabalik? Ang kailangan ko lang namang gawin ay bayaran ang anumang kulang sa binayad niyo, hindi naman 'yon mahirap-"

"Hep," she hold up her hand to stop me from saying a word. "Hold it right there Alexander. Alam kong mayaman ka pero huwag mo naman sanang minamaliit ang katulad kong laki sa hirap."

"I'm not. All I'm saying is, you're gonna be my wife, so what's yours is mine and what's mine is yours. There's no need for us to put it on our contract. If you want me to buy it then I will, but if you're planning to return the money later then better invest it in my company and let it boom. If it manage to double in five years then let's use it for a business venture."

She seemed to not believe what I said. She was looking at me as if I'm talking in Morse Code.

"Wow. Matagal ko nang alam na wala kang ibang alam kundi business pero pati ba naman dito, business pa rin?"

"It is a contract, Brielle. A binding agreement between you and I."

"Whatever. Anyway, to review our contract," she air-quote on contract, " This marriage will proceed as any other marriage contract. No cheating, no hitting, no spanking, no smoking, no trespassing, no kinky sex, no BDS-"

"That's not even in the contract," I interrupted.

She's going nowhere again.

"Are you saying that because it was not in the contract, you'll do i-" she frowned.

"Hell no!" I answered too soon which earned an evil grin from her.

"Defensive?"

"Brielle." I glared.

"Oo na," she rolled her eyes before reading the next page. "Moving on."

We discussed what to put in the contract and what is expected from both of us.

"Okay na. Pwede na siguro ito, iyong lawyer mo na ang bahala 'di ba?" she said while looking at the contract paper, " Sino nga palang lawyer mo?" she move her attention to mine.

"We do have a family layer but it's too risky. He follows my gramps orders so that won't do. I don't know anyone else we can trust aside from this person who happens to know someone who can be a witness and lawyer."

And before she can even ask who it would be, a knock on the door interrupts us.

"Siya na siguro 'yan." I stood up and opened the door to welcome our guests.

"Yoh lovebirds,Are you guys getting cozy?" he sniffed, "I don't smell semen here. Or lust."

Oh no, that's what's painted on Brielle's face when he sees the person. "Siya ang witness natin?" Uncertainty creaks on her voice.

Honestly even I have a doubt. I trust him to keep the secret but not his pranks.

"Sadly," I responded before closing the door once more.

"Alexander, sa lahat nang tao sa mundo, sa demonyo ka pa lumapit?''

"Like I said, I don't know anyone else whom we can trust. Besides, Aries is not the one who'll manage the contract," I assured.

"Oo nga naman Brielle, don't worry, as much as I want to turn your whole marriage a living hell, I still do things legally since it's a human rule," he said as if he's some deity. "I'm only going to be your witness, the person who'll draft your contract will be someone else. Don't worry too much, she's a legit family lawyer," Aries added.

That didn't do much for Brielle to trust Aries but he's all we have.

"Maliban sa 'kin, sino pa ang nakaka-alam ng tungkol sa kontrata nyo?" Aries asked.

''Ikaw at si Annesa lang. Gusto ko sanang mananatiling ganoon. Mahirap na kapag maraming makaka-alam," I answered. When it comes to secrets, the lesser people who know, the lesser chances of other finding out. We can't trust everyone.

Aries didn't stay long. We just gave him a brief summary of the contract and gave the folder containing the draft. He will be the one to give it to Annessa, our lawyer, to make the contract before we review and sign it.

"Finally, that's done." Brielle slouches down on the sofa before busying herself to her phone.

Finally it is.

"Alexander, I don't think this is over yet," she suddenly said.

"What do you mean?"

"I got a text from mama, I think Bria told them already," she paused.

I have a bad feeling about this.

"Sorry, but they were asking for your presence tomorrow night at home."

Shit. When will I catch a break?

[Conclusion: We don't need a rope nor a string to bind us together. All we need is for us to know how to trust and understand each other.]

xx