Kabanata 26

~ ALEX~

[Situation: What's the purpose of a flower?]

The sweet sound of a piano playing in the background kept me calm and focused. We are still in the hotel, but I'm already filled with different emotions.

If asked if I am happy I probably can't give a concrete answer about it. Yes, a part of me is happy, but at the same time, I felt a hint of uncertainty.

"Bro, kinakabahan ka ba?"Ace asked.

"No. Just thinking."

"Naku, 'wag naman sanang ways to run away from a wedding," biro ni Aaron.

"Nah bro, I think Alex is not going to go that far, after all the preparations." Aries gives me a you-know-what-I-mean look.

Aries and I were the only ones who knew about the contract. We haven't told anyone about it, and it will stay that way. As much as I don't like keeping secrets from them, there are just things that are not meant to be shared, and this is one of the things that are not worth sharing.

"Oo nga pala bro, may request ka ba mamaya? You know, mag-memessage kami sa inyo ni Brielle at kakanta na rin." Aaron mentioned a while ago that they'll perform at the reception, but if I were to ask. I'd rather not have them close to the podium or stage.

"Just don't fuck it up."

They all grinned like they already planned something, I won't like it.

"Alex naman, wala ka bang tiwala sa amin?'' Ace passed me a glass of champagne.

"Oo nga naman. Hindi ka naman namin ipapahiya sa mga bisita mo. We got this bro.''Aaron toss his glass to mine.

"Okay brothers, let's have a toss for a fallen brother who's about to be tied on an invisible, indestructible, impeccable knot of the holy matrimony." Aries faced me, "May you still live in peace."

"Or have sex," si Aaron

"Or be alive." si Ace

Fuckers.

I raise the glass. "CHEERS!"

"CHEERS!"

And so it will begin.

_____

The church that Brielle's family chose for the wedding was simple yet elegant. The decoration was white, gold, pink, and green, from the flowers to backdrops. Everything was well-detailed.

"Nervous?" I didn't notice mom approaching. But, do I really look nervous to everyone?

"No, mom. Just a surprise. I wasn't expecting this at all."

She smiled. "Anything for my only son."

"Xander, ready?" Mom and I glance at the direction of the voice.

"Yes, dad." I nod before patting me in the back.

I've invited dad for this wedding. Of course, gramps had a lot of things to say before agreeing, but I managed to convince him. I hope dad won't push any buttons and be in gramps fields of vision.

"Ophelia." Dad lends his hands to mom as a sign of invitation.

"Arthur." Mom accepted his hands without showing any emotions.

Mom and Dad, they get along. If their interest collides, they work well together. It just so happened that they have this unwritten agreement to act like strangers in front of everyone else. It's probably for the best since gramps still holds a grudge towards my father.

Pachelbel Canon in D

The piano started playing followed by the cello. As the wedding party walked down the aisles, I couldn't help but think of Brielle. I don't know how she is or what happened after our phone call, but Aileen assured me she was not going to run away, so I can only hope.

When I reached my place, the music stopped playing. It is common to change the music when the bride arrives and walks down the aisle, but for some reason, I could hear my heart beating louder and faster.

The orchestra played the song, Beautiful in White. When the doors opened once more, it revealed the beautiful bride who will soon be my wife.

Emotions instantly surround my whole system. As she walks down the aisle, I am reminded of our time together. From the very first day we met as a child, until this exact moment, I knew she was someone who would be part of my life.

My eyes didn't leave Brielle until they reached my place and her father spoke, "Xander anak, ingatan mo ang aking bunsong prinsesa," He uttered with pride and hope in his voice.

"I will."

As her father gave her hands to mine, I looked at her one more time.

"You're beautiful, luv, I'm pleased to call you mine."

[Conclusion: People are like flowers. It's short-lived and can wither when it's not cared for enough or blooms when given love, but even if it doesn't last forever, they live to bring different emotions in life, just like how people can make us feel happy, sad, love, etc.]

xx