Kabanata 16

~ ALEX ~

[Situation: When did silence become noise?]

Work has kept me occupied for the past few weeks and I've forgotten about the talk I had with my grandfather.

"Mom, can we move it to a later date? I can't really find time to squeeze it on my schedule."

"I know Xander but your grandfather is dead set on the date. Why don't you just come in whenever you're done with work. I'll just tell him that you'll be here at a later time for the party."

I lean back on my chair, massaging my forehead and trying to weigh my options.

"Fine," I gave in. "Just make sure gramps won't be fuzzy about it,mom,"

"Great!"

It took a while before mom got off the phone but when I thought I could go back to work, another incoming call disrupted my concentration, and based on the caller ID, I don't think it's going to be a short one.

"Hello?"

"Finally! Kanina pa ko tawag ng tawag sa'yo bakit di ka sumasagot?!"

Yup. This is going to be a long one.

"What is it this time, Brielle? And can you please tone down your voice. I don't want to be deaf."

I heard her click her tongue in annoyance and continue to ramble on her own. I don't have the time to listen to all her nonsense nor to argue at this point so I just let her until she's done.

"Hello, Alexander, are you still there?"

"Are you done?"I asked.

"Oo na. Can you pick me up now?" She voiced.

Finally! I don't know why she has to go in circles before telling me the purpose of her call.

"I'm still at work. I still have a lot of things to do. Can't you just call a cab and put it on my tab like you always do?"

She did it before. When I was not able to pick her up, I told her to call a cab, which she did, but she used my credit card to pay for the transportation service.

I don't remember giving her my credit card or any other cards but for some reason, she managed to get access to it and save it for her personal use. I just found out about it later on when she texted me to not be shocked if there was a taxi service transaction on my account because apparently, I paid for a taxi ride I never took.

I didn't bother changing cards or even asking her how many of my personal accounts she knows because I know for a fact that she'll just either deny it or make up a story around it. It's also a good thing she never overspends so I haven't called her out on it. As long as she shut up and won't annoy me for the rest of the day, I will not care much on how she spent my money.

"Gagawin ko kung may internet signal ako kaso wala. I'm in the middle of nowhere."

"And you expect me to know that?"

"Sasabihin ko naman yung address pero hindi ko lang alam kung anong exact location ko kasi kanina pa 'ko lakad ng lakad pero puro kapatagan lang ang nakikita ko at walang kataotao o kahit na bahay man lang. Buti na nga lang may mga poste ng ilaw at maayos na kalsadang pwedeng lakaran."

"What?!"

"Makasigaw? Inaano kita?"

Damn this woman. It's ten in the evening and she's just casually walking in a neighbourhood where she has no clue or whatsoever about the place. Does she not get any sense of danger in her system?