Kabanata 38

~ ALEX~

[Situation: What is a traffic light?]

I rushed to the hospital when I got a text from Brianna. She told me to pick up Brielle and take her home to rest. I don't know what happened, but I have a bad feeling about it.

Brielle and I hadn't spoken since she left the house that night. I tried to talk to her when we're home but she's asleep when I get back or at the hospital when I wake up. There had been no chances at all.

"Hey, sorry I'm late."

"Ayos lang," she genuinely smiled.

It's the first time I've seen Brianna more awake and less stressed since the accident. It's nice, but at the same time it doesn't feel like she's the same Brianna I knew. It's odd.

"Is she okay?" I approached the sofa where Brielle's sleeping soundly. She looks tired and...tears? "What happened to her?"

I glanced at Bria needing an explanation, but she didn't make any eye contact.

"You should take her home...and talk."

The last words almost sounded like a whisper, but Brianna's not the type to joke around serious matters. She's not someone who'd do something out of whim. She's reasonable, but also scary. I feel like what she's suggesting can create a chemical reaction towards my relationship with her sister.

"Did she tell you something?"

She shook her head, "No, but we both know how she is when hurting."

Hurting? Is she in pain...again?

"Xander, I care about my sister. I want her to be happy."

"I do too."

"Then do something about it."

"Bria-"

"I know you're aware of my sister's feelings for you when we were young."

I've never thought that Brianna would confront me with this. I've always thought that she'd let it go as long as I won't do something stupid. I never thought that leaving it as it is would turn out to be like this.

"Did she... tell you?"

"Avy's like a book. She's easy to read. Hindi siya marunong magtago ng nararamdaman. I've always known how much she trusts you. I've known how much she wants your attention. I know how much she tries to run away with those feelings, and how much you wanted to turn a blind eye on her feelings for you.

I'm lost for words. What she said is true. I do know Brielle's feelings when we were young but I never want to give it a thought since I can't return it at that time.

I was in love with Brianna and not her. It's sad to follow someone you love yet you can't have them. I tried to show her I wasn't interested so she'll move on and find someone else, and she did but the result became one of things I've regretted in life.

She ran away, and no one knew what happened after.

~

"What happened?" A young boy soaked in the rain, mud and sweat rushed into a house one rainy afternoon. They told him that his childhood friend - the young girl - had run away from home.

"We don't know where she went, or any place she would go?" The madam - the young girl's mom - weep in tears while their father consoles her. "I don't know what to do, Bria just left for Morocco and now..."

The young miss had finished her high school education and decided to accept the invitation for an opportunity in Morocco. Everyone in the family was proud of such achievement, but this was unexpected. They didn't think that in a few months, the young girl would run away.

"I will help. She might be hiding somewhere again. She might have felt sad because her sister's away, so don't worry. I'll find her." The young boy's confidence was admirable but no matter where he looked in the village, there's no trace of the young girl. It seems as if she never existed.

~

My thoughts were still clouded by what Brianna said on the way home that I didn't notice how much time had passed. It's almost dawn when I decided to go to bed and try to sleep, but before I could even shut the TV, I came in contact with Brielle.

"Hi."

"Hey," she said in a raspy voice before going to the kitchen and grabbing a drink of water.

I wasn't sure if this is a good idea but I decided to wait for a bit and see what she'll do before heading upstairs to sleep.

For some reason, something tells me that I have to talk to her now or else...

"Brie-"

"Alex-"

We stopped. Knowing that we decided to speak at the same time makes me realize how we haven't had any deep conversations. I guess this is the first time we get to communicate on a deeper level, but that also means that there are things that need sorting out.

"You want to talk." It wasn't a question but she still answered in a nod. " Do you want to move to the garden?" She nodded once more. Brielle has always been fond of flowers and the garden, I think it would relax her more if we stayed there. It would also give me a bit of a chance to prepare what she wanted to say.

We moved to the garden while I carried a cup of our herbal tea. I set it down close to her before sitting down at the chair across. I'm not sure if tea's a good idea at this point, but it's something we both share and like.

She's quiet. I watch her as she plays with her hands going back and forth as to what she's about to say, but we don't have all night. We can't talk if we don't start the conversation.

"What is it that you wanted to talk about?" I started but the moment I asked the question I regretted hearing the answer.

"Let's end this."

[Conclusion: Traffic lights guide the vehicles on the road. It helps with the movement of traffic and conducts an orderly flow, but traffic lights do not only serve as a sign on the road because it also relays a message to remind us of a time when we need to stop, think twice, and go.]

xx