𝐱𝐢𝐱. the first task !

𝐂 𝐎 𝐒 𝐌 𝐈 𝐂   𝐋 𝐎 𝐕 𝐄   !

𝙲 𝙷 𝙰 𝙿 𝚃 𝙴 𝚁   𝙽 𝙸 𝙽 𝙴 𝚃 𝙴 𝙴 𝙽   !

( 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔣𝔦𝔯𝔰𝔱 𝔱𝔞𝔰𝔨 ! )

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⬩❖⬩ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

          𝐀𝐍𝐀'𝐒 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐎𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐄𝐅𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌. She didn't even have to look to know that it was Rhys who had pushed her up against the doors, his hands on her shoulders and his violet eyes storming. Enchanting darkness swirled around them, and within it, Ana could swear she saw the outline of a beautiful pair of bat-like wings stretching from his back. Wings that looked oh so familiar . . .

"What did you promise her?" he asked, both concern and anger woven into his words. "Ana, darling, what did you promise her?"

Ana squared her shoulders and met his eyes. "Nothing of your concern."

She tried to walk away, but his grip was like steel. He pressed her harder into the wood of the doors, his chest heaving against her own. His hands moved from her shoulders to her cheeks, eyes softening. "Ana, darling, please. What did you promise her?"

Ana didn't know why she told him. It could've been the fact that he was practically begging her for the truth. Or maybe it was the pleading look in his eyes as he met her own hard gaze. Or maybe, just maybe, it was the warmth of their bargain along her back, spreading comfort throughout her, that had her wanting to confide in someone. Confide in someone who knew what it was like to give themselves in place of the people they loved.

"Myself." Her voice was a whisper. Such a contrast from the dangerous tone she'd used just moments ago. But the shame and fear she felt boiling within her had her unable to speak any louder. For years, she'd fought against the PTSD caused by Viktor. And now, to protect someone she viewed as a sister, she was throwing all of that away. But it was the only way. "I promised her myself."

Heartbreak shone in his eyes. "Oh, my darling."

He pulled her into a hug, and for the first time since arriving in this hell, Ana allowed herself to break. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she clutched tightly to his shirt, her sobs muffled by his clothing. Rhys held tightly to her, as if letting go for even a second would cause her to vanish into dust. He pressed kisses to her hairline and rubbed her back soothingly, right along both the bargain and Parabatai markings. 

"It was the only way," she managed. "But . . . but I . . . Rhys, I don't think I can . . . every other night . . . no rules or anything . . . whatever she wants . . . and she knows all about what . . . did to me and . . . use it against me . . . the pain . . . can't do it . . . can't . . . can't . . . can't . . ."