Chapter 6

"Alessio

"Alessio. You need to hurry up. Your bus will be leaving very soon"my mama yells from outside our small almost collapsed building.

"I am coming mama"I yell back and looked at myself from the broken mirror that is a perfect reflection of my life right now.

Broken with no hopes of the future. My dress looks nice, only had two patches at the back.

My jeans is okay, only faded and a little bit short due to my height but it is  good. That is what I could afford with little money I had.

I walked out to see my mom ready to leave for the market.

"I am ready mama. Give me your blessings"I tell her.

"You look handsome my little boy"she smiles as she fixes my shirt. It was a sad smile. A smile I have gotten used to.

"I am not a little boy anymore. I am 36,it is life that has been unfair to us. But I promise mama,we are going to leave this place,I am going to make you proud. People will stop laughing at us,at me"I tell her with determination.

"I know mi figlio. You are destined for greatness. Go and be great. Ti AMO" she says and kisses my cheeks before giving me her blessings..

We walked together to where my bus was,I gave one last hug and kisses and then got into the bus.

I waved at her as the bus started moving,

"ciao figliolo"she says and I know she was crying.

"Ciao mama. Ti amo.Ti amo tanto"I blew her kisses.

I am going to miss her. This is the first time in 36 years that I am leaving her side.

It has always been just us. After my mom fell pregnant with me,my father left her to fend for herself. Everyone left her,she was all alone and pregnant with me. But she didn't give up,she didn't give me up. She came to poorest part of Sicily,she born here,yeah people say we are the outcast of Italy.

So she came here, found favor with a small farmer and he gave her a please to stay. She worked on his farm till she had me,but he still supported us.

As I grew up,he thought me how to farm as my mom thought me basic English. I never went to school,we could afford it. I can't read or write.

So after Paolo died,my mom and I still cultivated his farm but as always life was cruel to us again. The farm caught on fire one night and everything burnt to the ground. The land become bare and we couldn't grow  crops anymore.

My mom and I looked for alternative,we worked odd jobs,such as cleaning and washing but it wasn't enough.

I started working in small food joint and I learnt how to cook many dishes.

All my life focus was to work and get out of poverty but it was joke.

Everyone in town made fun of me and my mom.