Chapter-18

Author's POV,

With their ice cream enjoyed, they gathered in the living room, each holding a bowl that held not just a sweet treat, but a moment of respite from their troubles. Pihu's smile was infectious as she savored each spoonful. "You know," she mused between bites, "it's these little things that keep us going, right?"

Shivani's agreement came with a wistful look in her eyes, a blend of contentment and yearning. "Absolutely. It's like a small escape from everything we've been through."

Shaurya leaned back in his chair, his eyes on Pihu and Shivani. "I'm glad I could bring a little bit of normalcy to your lives. You both deserve it."

The conversation took a serious turn as they reflected on their current circumstances.

Pihu's gratitude spilled out in words. "Thank you, Shaurya, and Shivani. I can't even imagine what would've happened if you and Shivani's dad hadn't helped me escape from his clutches. And Shivani, your unwavering support means the world to me."

Shaurya's reply was both sincere and modest. "You've heard it before that it's my duty. No need to thank me."

Shivani chimed in with her signature humor. "And as for me, just give me a little food from your delicious cooking, and I'll stick to you like a fevicol bond. And as for my dad, it his duty, so you don't need no need to thank him, just like Shaurya."

Laughter filled the room, casting aside momentary worries. "Well, you're the most adhesive friend one could have," Pihu teased, a twinkle in her eyes.

Shivani playfully rolled her eyes. "I told you, no need for thanks. You've got me as your personal bonding agent."

Pihu's expression turned serious, her voice carrying a heartfelt gratitude. "But if you both weren't there, I wouldn't have had the courage to escape. When Uncle told me about the escape plan, I was so scared. But Shivani, it was you who helped me conquer that fear. The day of our last exam, I was trembling with worry about getting caught as we left Mumbai city, planning our escape route from the college's back gate, and started our journey back to Varanasi. I didn't sleep for two days straight out of fear."

"Shaurya, your constant watch over our safety during our escape and helping us settle down here means so much. Also, for ensuring my family's safety and informing them about my current situation without catching the eyes of Rudra or his men."

Shaurya nodded, his gaze steady on Pihu. "I'm glad I could help. Oh, and I have to inform you both that your passports are almost ready. They will be ready in a few weeks. So, you can leave the country and go to America until the time Rudra forgets about you and stop searching, Pihu. And as for Shivani, you'll be clinging to her as always, right?"

Shivani chuckled. "Of course, Shaurya. You know I can't let my personal cook go too far." Pihu playfully smacked Shivani on the back of her head and said, "Bhukad."

Pihu smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Shaurya. This means a lot to us."

Shaurya's lips curved into a gentle smile. "Just doing my duty."

As they talked, a thought formed in Pihu's mind. She exchanged a knowing look with Shivani, and they both seemed to be on the same page. After all, they had been following Shaurya's instructions meticulously for a month now. It was time to take a small risk, maybe just a little venture outside, masked and cautious.

As Shaurya got up to leave, Pihu spoke up hesitantly, "Shaurya, we were thinking... since our passports are almost ready and it might still be a few weeks, maybe, just maybe, we could go out for a short while. We'll be careful, wear masks, and stay away from crowded places. It's just that we've been cooped up indoors for so long, and a little change of scenery would be nice."