Chapter-44

Author's POV,

The sterile scent of disinfectant stung Rudra's nostrils as he paced outside Pihu's hospital room, phone pressed tightly to his ear. His voice, usually smooth and controlled, was now laced with ice. "Veer," he growled, his knuckles white as they gripped the phone, "make sure that son of a... Bitch," he spat the name with disgust, "is made to understand the gravity of his crime."

"Make him see hell on earth," Rudra continued, his voice low and dangerous. "Make him wish he were dead. But don't grant him that mercy. I want him to beg for it, to plead for an end that won't come." A surge of primal rage coursed through him, a dark counterpoint to the worry gnawing at his insides.

Veer, on the other end of the line, listened intently. He had come to France upon hearing the news of Pihu's shooting, knowing that Rudra would need help in managing his business affairs. But he also understood the depth of Rudra's feelings for Pihu and the need for vengeance.

A low growl rumbled through the receiver. "Consider it done, Rudra," Veer assured him. "Rudransh won't be singing any happy tunes by the time I'm finished with him."

Rudra let out a humorless scoff. "Good. Because right now, the only song I want to hear is Pihu's laughter." His voice softened, a stark contrast to the steely resolve moments before.

Concern bled through Veer's gruff voice. "And how is Pihu?"

"Stable for now," Rudra replied, his expression softening slightly. "The bullet missed her spine, but she lost a lot of blood. I can't leave her side right now."

Veer's voice, gruff but laced with concern, rumbled through the receiver. "Rudra, focus on Pihu. That's all that matters right now. Leave the... settling the score to me for the time being.

Rudra knew Veer wouldn't disappoint. They had an understanding built on years of loyalty and shared experience.Taking a deep breath, Rudra forced himself to focus on the present. "Alright, Veer," he conceded, the tension in his voice easing slightly. "Handle it. But keep me updated. And Veer," he added, a steely glint entering his voice, "make him suffer until I can deal with him personally."

He ended the call, shoving the phone back into his pocket. Leaning against the wall, he closed his eyes, the image of Pihu's pale face flashing behind his eyelids. Guilt gnawed at him – guilt for not anticipating the attack, guilt for putting her in danger.

He had promised to protect her, yet he had failed. But this wasn't over. He would make Rudransh pay, dearly. And more importantly, he would never let Pihu out of his sight again.

The weight of the conversation with Veer pressed down on him, mirroring the sterile white walls of the waiting room. A soft whimper from behind the closed door shattered the silence, snapping Rudra's attention. He rushed to the door, his hand hovering on the knob for a moment before he pushed it open cautiously.

Pihu lay on the bed, her face pale and drawn, but her eyes were fluttering open. A wave of relief washed over him, so intense it threatened to drown him.

"Pearl?" he rasped, his voice thick with emotion.

Her eyelids fluttered open fully, recognition dawning in their depths. She tried to speak, but her throat was dry and parched. Panic flickered in her eyes as they landed on the wires snaking into her arm, the drip stand towering over her like a menacing sentinel.

Memories of the alleyway flooded back in a terrifying rush – the gunfire, the searing pain, the darkness. She was in a hospital, hooked up to machines, a captive in a web of tubes and wires.

"Get this off me!" she shrieked, her voice weak but laced with panic. She tried to pull away, her hand flailing uselessly against the white sheets that held her down. But the weakness in her body, the dull ache in her back, were a cruel reminder of her predicament.