Chapter-36

Pihu sat in the expansive living room of the mansion, her eyes glued to the television, yet nothing managing to captivate her interest. The grand hall echoed with the stillness of a lazy Sunday, and Rudra was in their room working, so she can't even go there as she feel suffocation and fear only near him. The air hung heavy with the dullness of the day.

Suddenly, Veer entered the room, a bright smile adorning his face as he took a seat beside her, presenting a chocolate cake. "Look what I brought for you," he announced cheerfully.

Pihu's eyes betrayed a flicker of delight at the sight of her favorite cake, yet her expression remained guarded. Veer, keenly perceptive, sensed her reluctance to accept both him and her current circumstances. His smile waned as he stood up, preparing to withdraw.

In the hushed quiet of the room, Pihu broke the silence with a soft whisper, "Umm, Veer Bhai, thank you for the locket and that day, giving me the phone." Veer came to a sudden halt, his steps arrested by the sincerity in her words. It was the first time she addressed him willingly as "Bhai." Veer's excitement surged, and an immediate smile illuminated his face as he enveloped her in a tight hug. "You don't need to thank me, Sunshine. That's the least I can do."

Pihu, sensing a bit of suffocation in the tight embrace, gently patted Veer's back. Realizing her discomfort, Veer released her and, with a slight embarrassment, rubbed the back of his neck. "Are you alright? I'm sorry; I just got a little excited," he admitted. Pihu nodded, offering assurance, "I am alright."

Veer, determined to infuse some joy into the atmosphere, instructed the maid to bring the cake. As the maid delicately placed the cake on a plate, Veer handed it to Pihu, his eyes reflecting genuine hope. "Did you like it?" he asked. Pihu replied with a soft "yes," a small, melancholic smile gracing her lips, and her eyes shimmered with unshed tears.

As she savored the cake, memories flooded Pihu's mind. Recollections of going to her dad's bakery to enjoy this particular treat, assisting her dad in the shop, and being rewarded with cake. She reminisced about sharing a single piece with her brothers, each getting an equal share, and the endearing moments when her brother would sweet-talk her into sharing more. The nostalgia overwhelmed her as she longed to return to the warmth of her family and relive those cherished moments once again.

Deep in thought, a small tear escaped Pihu's eyes, her throat tightening with emotions. Swiftly, she concealed her feelings before Veer could notice, focusing on eating the cake to find a momentary sense of peace amid the chaos surrounding her. As they enjoyed the cake, Veer entertained her with various funny stories from his experiences at the office.

Midway through their meal, a question lingered in Pihu's mind, and she turned to Veer, saying, "Bhai, do you know who Flower is?" Veer's smile faded, replaced by a solemn expression. He inquired, "From where did you hear this?"

Hesitating for a moment, Pihu revealed, "Actually, it's Rudra. He mumbles in his sleep, saying, 'Flower, please don't leave me. I'm sorry.' After I was attacked, I always heard him mumbling in his sleep."

Veer sighed, recognizing the intricate web of emotions surrounding Rudra. "I think your being attacked triggered him again," he offered, his words carrying the weight of understanding as he attempted to shed light on Rudra's behavior.

Initially considering avoidance, Veer hesitated but ultimately chose to share an essential part of Rudra's past, revealing, "Actually, she is Rudra's..."

Before he could finish, Rudra's voice echoed through the room, cutting into the conversation. "What are you doing here, Veer? I called you urgently for a file," Rudra demanded, his tone carrying a sense of urgency and authority.

Caught off guard, Pihu and Veer stood up from the sofa. Pihu, recalling Rudra's earlier warning, took a step back from Veer, her mind racing with apprehension. Rudra approached, standing beside her and gripping her shoulder.