Chapter-37

Author's POV,

Night enveloped Pihu in a shroud of uncertainty, her hands trembling as she cradled the brand-new phone gifted by Rudra. After he departed, she lingered in the room, a silent witness to her own internal turmoil.

As Pihu gazed at the phone, a storm of conflicting emotions raged within her. The device, gleaming in its newness, felt heavy with the weight of choices she was yet to make. "I don't know what I should feel," she whispered to the quiet room, her voice barely audible over the haunting silence, her eyes blurs with tears. "Since the day I arrived here, my heart yearned to speak to my family, to unveil the depths of my torment—the brutal encounters in the basement, the stifling absence of freedom, and the silent screams echoing in this mansion."

Her fingers danced nervously over the phone's surface, tracing its contours as she grappled with the decision ahead. The room held its breath, waiting for her resolve. On the other hand, she clutched a locket given by Veer, and her gaze lingered on the photo of her family nestled within its delicate frame.

"But now, as the chance presents itself, I'm paralysed," she continued, her words weighed down by the gravity of her situation. "If I reach out to them now, I fear I'll say my all miseries in their presence. And what good would it do? They can't protect me from Rudra's tyranny. I won't subject them to the anguish of helplessness. Perhaps it's better if they believe I'm gone—dead. I can't bear the thought of casting my misery upon them."

A whirlwind of emotions danced in the depths of her eyes, and a lone tear escaped, tracing a path down her cheek, as she grappled with her conflicting desires. A desperate longing for escape clashed with the fear of causing her family more pain. But still a question lingered in her some corner of her brain "Why is Rudra resorting to this? Is it merely another trick, a new tactic born out of his boredom with torment? Is this his way of gaining control over me, yet again?"

The room held its secrets, absorbing Pihu's internal struggle as the night unfolded, leaving her trapped between the yearning for freedom and the burden of protecting those she loved.

.

.

.

.

The next morning, the clock displayed 9 o'clock. Pihu lay on the bed, sleeping alone. The internal turmoil of the previous night left her indecisive about reaching out to her family.

Rudra entered the room, visibly worn out from spending the entire night engaged in work or more likely, tormenting someone. His eyes immediately sought Pihu, a flicker of amusement danced in his irises, like fireflies playing behind a mountain shadow upon seeing her peculiar sleeping position.

The exhaustion that clung to him dissipated as he observed her comical sleeping pose. She had managed to sprawl across the bed, claiming it as if she were a starfish taking over the ocean floor. Her hands reached out on both sides, fingers splayed, occupying every inch of space. Clad in panda-printed pajamas, she resembled a unique blend of innocence and rebellion.

Her clenched fists and the slight pout on her lips added a touch of drama to the scene. It was as if she was reenacting a miniature version of a wrestling match with the invisible forces of sleep. Rudra couldn't help but marvel at the contrast—how she could effortlessly transition from resembling a cute, cuddly child one moment to embodying the spirit of a fierce lioness the next.

Approaching her with a lingering softness in his eyes, as if he were tracing every contour of her soul, he sat beside her, gently removing the hair from her face and stroking her cheek lovingly. "Pearl, how much peaceful you look when you sleep. I want to see that same peace when you are with me. I thought my love was enough for both of us, but I know now I want you to love me the same way. And I will make it happen."