Chapter-28

Author's POV,

Rudra's sinister laughter seemed to reverberate through the very walls, causing Pihu's skin to crawl with dread. His fingers, like a vice around her nape, tightened their grip, adding to her discomfort. He spoke with a bone-chilling resolve, his words dripping with menace, "You've just unlocked something, Pihu. A side of me, a ruthless mafia king, I've kept hidden from you. You will find yourself, of your own volition, uttering those words—accepting me as your husband."

It was the first time Rudra had spoken her name with such dangerous fervor, and Pihu shivered involuntarily. However, she refused to yield, locking her gaze defiantly with his. But before she could respond or react, Rudra's powerful grip clamped onto her wrist, his fingers constricting like a vise. He began to drag her forcefully out of the room with long, purposeful strides.

Pihu's heart sank as she shouted, "Let me go, you're hurting my hand! I said, leave me!" Her voice echoed through the corridors as she struggled and shouted, occasionally stumbling due to Rudra's rapid pace. But Rudra remained unfazed, his vision clouded with anger and determination. He was hell-bent on punishing her, forcing her to realize that she had no option but to accept him.

Rudra led her to the basement door, and as he pushed it open, they entered a long corridor illuminated by dim, eerie lights. Fear constricted Pihu's throat as her mind raced with horrifying possibilities. Rudra continued to guide her forward, and Pihu couldn't help but notice the numerous rooms lining the corridor. From some of them, agonized groans and cries of pain emanated, sending shivers down her spine. The nauseating stench of blood hung heavily in the air, making her stomach churn.

Pihu's heart sank as Rudra swung open one of the door to the dimly lit room. Her eyes widened in horror as they landed on the figure shackled to the wall. The man's hands and legs were chained, rendering him almost immobile. He bore the gruesome marks of a merciless beating, with cuts and bruises covering every inch of his battered body. His face was a painful sight, disfigured and swollen, the aftermath of relentless brutality.

Overwhelmed by terror, Pihu instinctively jerked her hand free from Rudra's grip and turned to flee. But Rudra was quicker, capturing her and pulling her close, his arms enveloping her from behind. He lowered his head, placing his chin on her shoulder, and his voice was a menacing whisper in her ear, "Where are you going, Pearl?"

Pihu trembled in his grip, her voice heavy with fear and emotion as she asked, "Why are you doing this? Please." She wasn't certain if she was pleading for the man's release or her own safety.

Rudra's response was chilling, "I haven't even started, Pearl."

Suddenly, Rudra ordered one of his men to douse the injured man with cold water. The shock jolted the man back to consciousness, and he groaned in pain. But as his eyes focused on the scene before him, his battered face softened into a faint smile. It seemed he had resigned himself to his fate, finding a grim solace in the fact that death might finally offer him release.

Pihu's shock was palpable as she observed the man's bizarre sense of relief in the face of impending doom. Rudra, attuned to her confusion, began to explain, his voice laced with anger, cruelty, and a twisted sense of satisfaction.

"I can see the questions burning in your mind," Rudra started, his words a venomous hiss. "Let me clarify. This man was entrusted with the task of keeping an eye on you before your audacious escape. Incompetence oozed from every pore of his being, so I decided to make him pay for it. For two excruciating months, I subjected him to torment, never granting him the mercy of death. Instead, I vowed that his life would end only in your presence, Pihu. You see, it was never just about punishing him; it was about punishing you for your escape. But when fate finally delivered you back into my grasp, I briefly contemplated showing you mercy. However, it appears you fail to appreciate my gentler side. So, brace yourself, my dear, for I'm about to unveil the depths of the devil that resides within me."