❛ Prologue ❜

where everything is different

Mason ❜

"ARE you free this afternoon after school?" Mara threw an arm around my shoulder and looked over at me with a grin. "I was thinking we could ditch homeroom and all that cleaning and go have something to eat at that cafe you like."

I watched the churlish crowd look down at me in the same manner that they always do. When I find myself in the presence of my best friend, there's nothing to be surprised about when it comes to the soft murmurs and disgusted faces.

Unfortunately for me, Mara Jace Kim was the top notch female athlete in the school—breeding popularity and fans and the confidence to go with it. "Look, we can always eat after homeroom." I wasn't exactly opposed to the idea, but my anxiety would send me into a disorienting spiral.

Mara furrowed her brows. "Come on, it'll be so much fun! We can even hit the arcade if that's what you really want." She pressed the side of her head against mine and laughed. "I mean you're not gonna pass on that now are you?"

I huffed a loud breath and shook my head. "This isn't about what I want," I blurted out loudly, gaining a couple of weird stares from people I had never seen before in my entire high school career. "It's just that I need to be there and I already have plans after school that I can't miss."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Mara shook her head in disbelief. "You have plans? It's Wednesday—" She came to a brief halt and almost dragged me with her; arm still hung around my neck. "Mace, the only person you have plans with on a Wednesday is me so unless you're fooling around then—"

People started to tune in to our private conversation, and if they weren't already, they were making a definite pit stop of it to gain some sort of free entertainment. "People are staring."

Mara shrugged her shoulders. "So what if they're staring? You went on a one month holiday during break and I've barely seen you since—" I cut her off. All I could really do was stare into her piercing gaze and hoped that she'd understand.

"You were hiding in my room when I got back. In fact you made yourself comfortable for a whole week. You haven't 'barely' seen me. You've seen a lot of me and all I need to do today is show up."

Mara was never good with her words, neither her feelings nor any kind of emotion. But I knew it, I knew it well enough to know when she felt hurt or upset. She gave it all away with her thick brows that said more than her own words sometimes. I honestly found it quite cute, somewhat endearing, something that made her stand out. Mara Jace and her damn eyebrows.

"I'm sorry," I quickly apologised. "We can do our little thing after school. But I really have to sort some things through before we leave. Okay?"

Her brows had shifted from their previously furrowed state. "Really? You'll come with me?"

I nodded. "Always. When have I ever said no to you, Mara Jace Kim? I don't think I ever have."

A warm smile flashed across her face. "Well to be fair you did say no like a minute ago," She chuckled. "But past is past. We're hanging out!"

She threw her arms around me tightly and giggled. "Mmm I'm so excited!," She exclaimed. "Really, we're gonna have the best time ever."

I rubbed the small of her back and smiled softly. "I really have to meet up with Riley to discuss some things to do with tutoring and all that boring stuff. I know you don't care but I'll need to drop by and tell her we can start next week..."

Mara loosened her hold on me and looked me in the eye. "Oh, so that's what those plans were?"

"Yup. I'm meant to tutor her today actually—or try to at the very least. But I haven't exactly met her yet. Riley's in a class or two of mine but I really haven't gotten to know her and it's bound to be a bit awkward today. I'm really nervous."

Mara looked down at me and cupped my face gently. "What's there to be nervous about? You're the smartest girl I know," She proceeded to tuck the stray hair behind my ear. "She'll have the best tutor. I'm sure of that. That kid is lucky."

"Oh," I chuckled. "Well thank you. I appreciate that MJ. I always do. But I'll have to see how everything goes. I heard she's pretty good back in Australia but that really won't cut it over here."

Mara nodded in agreement. "It sure won't. But she's got an excellent girl to be her tutor. She'll pass everything with flying colours before you know it. It'll be tough at first most likely, given that she's new and all, but she'll get a hang of it."

I admired her way of uplifting me whenever I felt stressed or anxious about something bound to happen. It's the one thing that keeps me on my feet whenever my head is in all the wrong places.

I took a deep sigh of relief. "It's nice to hear you say that. But," I checked the time on my watch. "She'll be at the library in a few minutes, and with my luck, it might just take me ten minutes given this god awful crowd." The hall was swarmed with people from one locker to another.

"I can come with you. To meet Riley. If you want. I figured it would make you feel less nervous to have someone you know to keep you at ease."

I couldn't help but smile. "You have homeroom," I noted. "You know that brief period of time you spend every morning and afternoon. Where you sit and listen to announcements and—"

Mara shook her head and groaned. "Absolutely disgusting," She commented. "I hate homeroom."

"Don't you have half your team in homeroom? It can't be that bad can it? Look, it's just twenty minutes. We can meet outside the library after. I really have to go now. She'll be waiting for me."

"Right." Mara smiled awkwardly and pulled me into a warm embrace. "Don't take too long. I already miss you. In fact, I can't wait to see you."

My heart thrummed against my chest. "I haven't even left yet," The smile on my face was indestructible. "I can't wait to see you too, Jace."