twenty five

𓄼 Mara Jace 𓄹

"Here. All your stuff is inside. It's been washed so don't worry too much about the spilt milk," Mavis hands me a plastic bag with my clothes. "I folded them so it fits in the bag. Don't worry too much I know how to use a washing machine. Your hoodie is still in one piece." She uttered dryly.

I take the plastic bag from her grasp. "Thank you," I smiled awkwardly. "Why do you have my stuff by the way? I left them over at Mason's."

"She brought them over." Mavis replied bluntly.

"Wait. She did?" I pressed the bag against my chest and hugged it tightly. "When did she leave? I drove by to hopefully pick up my stuff but she wasn't home. I was really hoping to see her."

Mavis let her shoulder rest against the doorframe.

"That's because she never left. She's here. I told her to stay until she feels better. Her eyes are bloodshot and swollen," She explained. "It didn't feel right sending her home looking like that."

I felt my chest burn. "Mason's here? With you?"

"Don't sound shocked," Mavis chuckled. "You broke her heart last night. Mason had no clue what to do. She still has no clue. And it's all because of you." She breathed. "You hurt her."

"She told you what happened?" A jolt of anxiousness began to course through my body.

"Did you expect her not to?" Mavis questioned. "I don't think you realise just how much shit she's kept pent up to keep you happy, MJ." She crossed her arms and stood firm. "It's actually ridiculous how oblivious you've been these past few weeks. You need to get your act together. If not then..."

"Then what?"

"You could lose her." Mavis answered.

"I can't lose her." I clench my jaw enough to hear a crack. "You know I can't ever go through that."

Mavis shook her head and shrugged. "Then fix things. You're the only person who can fix what's broken." She uttered. "I know how much she cares for you, how much she loves you. The kind of love she has for you is so rare. Don't give her a reason to take it away. I know you're smart enough to know that. Don't you dare lose it."

I took one step forward and let the tears course down my face. "I know. I won't. I'll fix it. I can even do it now," I breathed. "Can I come in?"

Mavis held out her hand and cupped my face gently. "I would but she doesn't want to see you," She answered. "Not for a while. I'm really sorry."

"I don't think I can do that," I cried. "You have to let me in. I want to tell her that I'm really sorry for what I did. I want to fix things. Please, M."

She stood on her tip toes and planted a soft kiss on my forehead. "I know you do," She cooed. "But you'll need to respect her wishes. It'll make things worse if you push too hard to see her."

"But..."

"No buts, MJ. She doesn't want to see you."

"Mavis. Please." I begged. "Just this once."

I watched her move slightly, just enough for me to see Mason sat on the staircase behind her. Her eyes were bloodshot and swollen. "Mason."