eighteen

𓄼 Mason 𓄹

I stare into Mara's bloodshot eyes.

She cried. But why? I start to wonder if our argument had upset her more than I thought. I've never raised my voice like that, especially not to her. I never have a reason to. I even hate the fact that I even did. The realisation sinks into my stomach and I feel awful. I didn't intend to hurt her feelings—especially not like that. I cup her cheek with the palm of my hand, hoping to soothe the hurt in any way that I possibly can.

"Do you want to stay?" I asked. Please say yes.

She melts into my touch. "Is that ok with you?"

I rub my thumb against her soft skin. "Of course. It'll always be. This is your home too. You don't even need to have a reason." I answered. All you need to do is come home to me. "This is home."

Mara smiles warmly as she reels me into her warmth. "Have you had dinner yet?" She asked.

It's nearing midnight and neither of us have eaten. "I haven't. I assume you haven't either?"

Mara shook her head. "Want me to make your favourite? I have all the ingredients. Just say the word and I'll get right to it." She chuckled.

I feel my heart skip a beat. You probably do this for her too. I wouldn't be surprised if you did. That's just who you are. The most selfless person I know. You'd go out of your way for the people you love. I just wished that I were the one...

I wanna be the one you're in love with.

Mara made her way towards the kitchen island, grabbing ingredients before I had given her an answer. "I thought I had to say the word?"

She shrugged. "I know you would've said yes anyway." Mara leaned over the kitchen counter and pressed a soft peck on my cheek. "It'll be ready in a little bit. Just sit tight." She smiled.

I purse my lips as I spin around on the stool, desperate to turn away to hide my flushed face.

There she goes again.

"I'm gonna put a show on if that's ok?" I stand up from my seat and I hover towards the lounge. "You don't mind if I put anything on right?"

Mara hummed lightly. "I'll watch anything you pick, baby. You know that." She answered. "You're more than welcome to put The Summer I Turned Pretty on since you love Conrad so much."

I feel my cheeks burn twice as much as it were previously. Part of me wished it was the result of Mara's comment over Conrad. But it isn't that.

I could never love anyone more than I do you.

"How was Mavis today? I thought you'd stay over at hers to be honest." I change the topic while I set the TV on to the latest episode of TSITP.

I watch her reflection through the window. She has her head tilted slightly as she starts to chop a variety of vegetables. "She's been good. We just talked about things. Nothing much. Just...stuff."

"Right." I answered. She doesn't seem that thrilled. Isn't that how crushes are meant to work? Where's the thrill while talking about her?

"Well are you guys doing alright? You seem kinda worn out. I...hope that doesn't sound rude or anything cause I'm just curious?" I added. "You don't seem that excited while you talk about her."

Mara held a hand over her face as she laughed.

"No, we're okay. I just see her quite often. I guess it changes how you talk about people? Don't worry about us too much. We're doing just fine."

She continues to pour her attention towards the chopped vegetables in front of her. "Why? You've grown quite curious about Mavis lately." She said.

I run my tongue against my bottom lip.

"Doesn't hurt to be a little curious. Besides, she's the girl you like. It'd be weird if I weren't even the faintest bit curious about her." I chuckled nervously. "I just wanted to know how everything is between you two and...if I could help?"

Mara sets her ingredients aside and looks at me, evident than ever. I see the expression plastered across her face through the window. "Help?"

"I wanna help." I nod slowly. "I can be your wing man? Or wing woman I suppose. She'll realise that you're the girl she shouldn't ever let go of."

Mara took a deep breath. "I told you we're fine. You're acting weird, Mace. Is something up? Or..." She tilts her head. "And you already are. Did you forget that? We made a contract and everything," She laughed. "You thought of it yourself, love."

Fuck. I did. I was the mastermind behind it all.

"Sorry," I apologised. "Cracker for a brain."

I forget everything when you're near.

Mara shook her head. "You don't have a cracker for a brain. You just forgot about it. Shit happens. It's funny though considering what we've been up to," She grinned. "Thought it'd be on your mind."

You're on my mind.

"Do you like Mavis?" Mara added hastily.

"Huh?" I whip my head around to face her.

"Do you like Mavis? Is this what this is all about?"

I shake my head vigorously. "No. No! I don't. I don't like Mavis. I promise you." I run from the couch to the counter. "Please believe me when I say this. I seriously don't have feelings...not her."

Mavis squishes my cheeks with the palms of her hand. "I've never seen you run so fast in my life." She laughed. "If it's not Mavis then don't stress. It's not good for you." She explained. "Let me get back to dinner, okay? You don't need to wait much longer. It'll be done before you know it."

She ruffles my hair as I nod. "Okay. I'll sit back down. Watch Conrad and..." I swallow the dryness in my throat as she looks down at me.

"I love you, Mace."

The beat of my heart flutters at irregular intervals. Everything I ever thought would happen has poured down the drain. Falling in love with Mara was never the plan. But here I am.

"I love you too, Jace."

The words pour out like a overflowing river.

She smiles and the world stops. I just feel the warmth of her arms around my skin, the smell of her perfume in my lungs, and the ever growing need to tell her how much I wish she was mine.