two

A FORD MUSTANG pulls into the driveway of Mason's family home. Its sleek silver exterior glistened underneath the shine of the moon, engine revving loud enough to announce her presence to the quiet suburban neighbourhood.

The lights automatically flicker on outside, instantly illuminating the wide cobblestone driveway that leads to the beautiful front door.

The neighbourhood was eerily quiet, as it always is. Mara knew that better than anyone, but the feeling never disappears no matter the amount of time she had found herself in this house.The streets were identical to that of an abandoned building—to which Mara had realised may have more life (and noise) than the street she was in.

"I believe I am right on time," She chuckled to herself. Her hand reached for her phone on the centre console. "Seven thirty exactly," She grinned. "You never fail to amaze me Mara Jace."

"You're still quite full of yourself aren't you?" Mara changed her focus from the phone to the girl dressed in a thin beige long sleeve, blue denim jorts, white socks and black sandals. "Hi."

Mara reached for Mason's brown purse and greeted her with a warm smile. "Hi," She replied. "I didn't see you walk out. Are you a ghost?"

The latter frowned. "No, I'm a human."

"I know that," Mara set the purse on her lap and chuckled lightly. "I'm just saying that I didn't see you walk out. Which is why I made the joke."

She watched her best friend put on her seatbelt. Her posture was straight, knees together and her hands sitting on her lap. "So where are you taking me this evening?" She questioned. Though an answer was not needed. Mason knew the answer to that. Her favourite diner across town.

Mara looked down at the purse on her lap, a Kuromi keychain was dangling from the zipper. She couldn't help but break out into a smile.

She wasn't aware that such a small thing could remind her of such incredible moments. Is it true that some of the smallest things bring great joy?

"If it's on your mind then that's where we're going. You should know this by now. I read you like a book," Mara grinned. "I'm just that good."

Mason shrugged. "Or it could be the same place we always go to. Not rocket science and no—" Mara tried to speak. "This isn't a That's So Raven moment. You weren't born a psychic, Mara Jace."

Mara would normally hate the blunt truth and the straightforwardness of it all—but that was just Mason. She didn't mind it, in fact, she tolerated it. Anyone else would simply not cut it.

"By the way, and I don't mean to frighten you, Jace but my mom is standing by your window."

"Oh..." The latter turned her face and met eye to eye with her best friend's mother. "You were right," She lowered the window and smiled brightly. "And don't you look stunning today, Mrs Kang. It's lovely to see you again." Mara added.

"Oh, it's always a pleasure to see you, Mara. I haven't seen you since you slept over!"

"It wasn't that long ago, Mom." Mason added.

"Right. Well then," Clarissa pulled her robe tightly across her chest and sighed. "Where are you both headed tonight? I see you've managed to get my daughter out of her room and into the wild."