twenty eight

𓄼 Mason 𓄹

I felt my heart thrum against my chest. Thump, thump, thump. For the longest time, I sat frozen in my leather seat, almost beaded in sweat, hands fidgeting, and my head pounding like never before. My plate of food sat in front of me. It looked phenomenal. My steak was cut into bite sized pieces, I had a generous serving of mashed potato and the mushroom sauce looked heavenly.

But I wasn't hungry. Not anymore. I could hardly fathom the thought of stomaching anything served to me. I felt like I'd been jackknifed in the chest, left to bleed, and die with no mercy.

"Mason." Her voice filled my ears.

I looked at her like an inconsiderable idiot, studying her face, and noticing the way her brows furrowed when she looked back at me, concern visible on her soft features as she took another swig of her wine which to me, looked disgusting.

"Yeah?," I gripped the thick tablecloth that hung just above my bare thighs. "Were you saying something?" I could hardly process a word that left her mouth since she dropped the real truth to the lie she'd been feeding me for several months.

"I was," She whispered, almost inaudible. "Are you mad at me?" Her shoulders dropped as she lowered her head and looked down at the floor.

I knew by the look on her face that she was upset. If I knew anything about Mara Jace, it would be this. She could never deny it, not with me.

"I'm not mad at you," I assured, hoping to ease her worries. "I'm just confused," I confessed. "All this time I thought you were with her, Mara."

"I was with her. And by with her I mean at her place or just with her you know? But not like that," she insisted. "I don't like her like that."

An indescribable ache began to pulse throughout my frontal lobe. "And so you've said," I chuckled. "I don't understand what you're trying to say."

I watched her eyes dart around the table, with guilt flooding her features as she took the courage to look up at me. "I want you to stay."

"I still don't understand," I pressed. "What were you referring to earlier? That reason. What is it?" I was almost close to agitation—with hardly any progress in our conversation since my dinner was served over fifteen minutes ago. We had gotten nowhere, and clearly, so were all my hopes.

"I—I'm afraid," Mara stuttered. "Of...," she clasped her hands tightly and closed her eyes. "of telling you the truth and watching you l—leave."

I had never seen her stoop so low, with tears welling in her eyes and her body shaking. Her strong, fearless and unstoppable demeanour that came with her captaincy had soon lifted, showing her raw and vulnerable self at the dinner table.

"What makes you so sure I'd leave?"

A single tear coursed down her face. "You don't know how long I've wanted to tell you this."

"Then tell me, goddamnit," I cursed, fully agitated. "You've lied to my face for months, claiming someone and leaving me to believe you. Do you even realise how stupid I feel? I trusted you, and I gave up my time and effort to help you win her over when in reality, you don't even care about her. I feel like an absolute fucking fool!"