twenty four

𓄼 Mavis 𓄹

"I was wondering if I could talk to you."

The day had hardly even began when Mason Kang appeared on my front porch bearing gifts. I felt a hint of embarrassment course through my body as she looked at me with wide eyes. "I'm sorry, did I come at a bad time?" She wondered.

Mason arrived in the middle of my morning cleanse, toothpaste dribbling down my chin as the door bell rang. "No, not at all. I was just freshening up when I heard you ring the bell," I explained. "But how can I help?"

She breathed in and held a brown paper bag in front of me. "I wasn't sure what you liked and I'm not really talking to MJ right now so I bought you a few things..."

Mara and Mason were more alike than I had previously accounted for. Neither of them fell short with coming over bearing gifts. "Thank you," I smiled warmly. "You didn't have to bring anything. I'm a little embarrassed now," I chuckled nervously. "Would you like to come in?"

"Would that be okay?," She questioned. "I was hoping to talk to you about Mara if you felt comfortable enough..." Her eyes were bloodshot and swollen. "If not then we don't have to. I'd rather not make you uncomfortable."

I held out a hand and offered her to come inside, "I'd be a terrible person to let you leave like that. You're always welcome to come over if you have any issues, anything at all," I advised. "Quick, come inside. It's a little chilly out here. I don't want you catching a cold." I added.

Mason stepped forward and walked through my front door rather shyly. "Thank you for letting me inside. I don't intend to stay very long," She explained. "I just wanted to ask for some advice...in fact I'd take anything. I'm just really lost and confused right now..."

The house felt somewhat colder than usual. I felt a chill crawl down my spine as I led her down the hall towards the living room area. I've never spoken to Mason outside of school before, and even then, it was usually a short conversation consisting of 'hi's' or hey's' and nothing past that.

Now she's in the middle of my house to talk to me about her best friend, who also happens to be the girl I've lent my heart to. I couldn't help it.

"Of course. What kind of advice were you after?," I questioned. "I know Mara can be a bit of a handful sometimes," I showed her to the couch and smiled. "Or all the time." My response ended with the both of us in a fit of laughter. "What did she do this time? It must've been pretty serious if you're here. LaCrosse players are certainly something. They'll have you losing your head."

Mason ran her tongue against her bottom lip. "Well, to be honest with you I have no idea where to begin. I wouldn't know how to end it either."

"That's fine. It's always tricky trying to find your starting point in a conversation," I chuckled. "Just tell me what happened and we can go from there." I reassured.

She lowered her head and fell to her knees. "Mason!" I called. "What are you doing on the floor?" I rushed to her side and held her up.

Soft sobs filled the silence that began to linger.

"I'm really really sorry Mavis," She cried. "I'm to blame..." I knelt down on the cold tiled floor and cupped her face in my hands.

"What are you apologising for? And what do you mean? Tell me what happened?" I asked softly.

"She kissed me," She breathed. "I don't know what to do. All I know is that I'm really really sorry...," She cried. "I pushed her away and I—I told her to leave," Mason hiccuped. "I told her to leave. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to happen. It was just so sudden and I'm really sorry.

Bewilderment had clouded through my mind. "Mason. You don't have to apologise for any of that," I answered softly. "There is absolutely no reason for you to be sorry."

Mason swallowed hard and shook her head.

"But I do."

I let my thumb caress her cheek as she continued to apologise. "There's really no need, Mason. It's okay. I promise you that. Mara and I aren't in a relationship, therefore there's not anything wrong with what she did," I answered. "Not from my end at least. It doesn't really affect me. But if it made you uncomfortable then that's a completely different story and she didn't have to right to do that," I continued. "I assume she didn't apologise?"

Mason fell deeper into my embrace, which left me questioning the context of what truly happened between them. It made no sense for her to fall to her knees and apologise like this if it wasn't as extreme as it seemed.

"I didn't let her apologise," Mason sniffled. "I couldn't—I couldn't really think. I just told her to get up and leave. All her belongings were left at my place. I brought them with me because I don't intend on seeing her...not for a while. I really hate her right now. I even hate the fact that I do. But I really don't know what's up with her."

I hate the fact that I know why Mara did it. I also hate the fact that I'm neither mad or shocked, but only disappointed at how she's been behaving as of lately.

Mara hasn't been herself, and it's never been more obvious. I've been spending a lot more time with her now that she comes over more than usual. She isn't normally this hard headed and out of touch with reality.

Mara's doesn't usually have an issue with understanding or realising people's feelings either. But it's been evidently clear that she's been playing on people's emotions, and to think it's really about her best friend is what's more disappointing. I may not know Mason that well, but I know enough to understand that she doesn't deserve any of what Mara's currently putting her through. No one deserves to be put through this.

It's sad. Why mess with someone's feelings? Mara's not only hurting one but two people, and one of them is me. I know that Mara has no bad intentions, but the way in which she's been acting has done a lot more harm than good. Mara Jace is a beautiful soul, but this just may be her biggest flaw yet...

She's a red flag that we're both inevitably drawn to.