twenty six

𓄼 Mara Jace 𓄹

"CAN you at least pretend to like the food."

Dinner went well for about five minutes before I'd completely forgotten about our plans for the semester break. "I like the food," I push the mashed potato around with my fork. "It's a bit hot. Might need a little more time to cool down."

My date leans back into her chair. "Cool down? We got our food over fifteen minutes ago," Mavis hissed. "Please don't give me this bullshit tonight. I really can't deal with any more inconveniences."

My throat ran dry. "Inconveniences?" She won't let me off the hook that easily. "I forgot. I've had a lot on my mind lately and it just slipped out. Surely, you can understand that," I reach for her hand, only to get the cold shoulder. "Please?"

Mavis shifts in her seat. "I would let you off the hook if this were the first time but," she runs her fingers through her loosely curled hair. "it isn't."

My brows furrow. "If it were the first time?"

She stares back at me in disbelief. "Part of me wants to think you're being serious but you've been acting clueless about all the plans we made." Her white blouse had a tint of maroon on her collar, an unfortunate accident of my own doing. I tried to be nice; romantic if it even were the case. But in my clumsy attempt to do so, I'd knocked over her red wine as she went to take a sip. "It hurts to assume that I've been over my head about this but I don't think it's made up."

I part my lips to try and explain myself, but she wasn't finished, not nearly. "None of this is going to work. And it's certainly not ok to let myself run dry for you. It's unfair and it's just heartbreaking."

Our waiter comes around and hangs his head low to ask if everything is ok, only to walk away in a hurry after he'd realised what he'd walked in on.

I've been ignorant and unhelpful. "It's not fair," I agreed. "But you have to understand my side."

Mavis holds her head in her palms. "I've understood you for months. I've tolerated you and everything that came with wanting you," A tear courses down her rosy cheeks. "I wish you understood my side but it's impossible with you."

The feel of a newly formed lump in my throat is rough and uncomfortable. "I understand you. And I've been trying my hardest to do right by you. I know that I haven't been there for you a hundred percent but life hasn't been all that kind to me..."

I watch her lift her head from her hands. "And you've done your best," She assures. "But I'm not entirely sure if it's enough for me—or if it'll ever be." Mavis reaches for my hand and holds it in her own. Her warm over rides the chill in the air. "I know that it's been rough for you lately, and you've been so distracted and out of touch."

My stomach ties up into knots. "You're not the first to say that," I chuckle half heartedly. Coach agreed to boot me off the rest of the season if I didn't get my head straight—and whether the pun be intended or not—I'm really not straight. "I just don't get how it all came down to this..."

"I think I may know the answer to that."

Mavis swallows long and hard. "Look, I know that we've been unfair to each other lately, and maybe we haven't been quite truthful either to each other," she adds. "But I know that look in your eyes, MJ. Unfortunately for you, they never lie."