twelve

𓄼 Mara Jace Kim 𓄹

RILEY MARSH stands tall on the front porch of my best friend's house. She's dressed casually in a white Levi's crop top, denim jeans and black vans.

She has a black book bag slung across her shoulder; unzipped and open just enough for me to see her copy of It's Not Summer Without You.

If you're unfamiliar with the title, then you probably don't know that this is Mason's favourite book—or one of to be truthfully honest. It's the second instalment of the three book series by Jenny Han. It tells the tale of Belly Conklin; 16 and in love—head over heels for the boy she's known her whole life. As dreamy as it sounds, it gets awfully complicated. I would know.

Mason has read and reread the entire book series more times than I've ever won a Lacrosse match. Don't even get me started on the Original Series. I could probably sit on her couch and retell (or even quote) the entire first episode word for word (and for every character) with the volume on mute. I'm completely and utterly confident.

"Are you going to let me in?"

Riley stands on her tip toes and sets her feet back down on the smooth hardwood maple floor while she stares at me with a curious look on her face.

"What are you doing here?" I realise how unwelcoming I sound when I hear the words slip past my lips. "Sorry. Did you need something?"

Riley smiles warmly and walked toward me before slipping past me like an oncoming breeze.

"Hey—"

I turn around and find Mason in black bike shorts, a sports bra and her favourite baseball cap. "Hey, Riley." She smiles warmly. "Did you bring everything that you need for today?"

I feel my lips start to dry as I try to fathom the scene unfolding before my very eyes. Last I remembered, the two were hardly on speaking terms. Now they're standing in the middle of the kitchen like they've known each other for years.

"What's going on?" I question.

Mason stands on her tip toes and reaches for her favourite green cereal bowl. "Study." She sets it down carefully on the kitchen island and hurries over to the walk in pantry to grab the cereal.

I decide to make a move towards the fridge as Riley stands politely by the set of stools.
"Sit." I utter. "Please. Make yourself comfortable. Don't stand around." I chuckle nervously.

Riley nods. "You're here often."

I set the milk down beside the bowl and take the cereal box from Mason as she made her way towards the kettle. "Yeah. Guess you could say that. I mean her parents let me stay here so..."

"Oh, that wasn't a question. I know you do."

Mason snickers beside me.

It takes me several moments to realise that I'm explaining myself to someone who probably didn't ask for the finer details. "Mason's parents are out of town so I usually come over to keep her company." I explain. "I didn't know you were coming over to be honest." I chuckle.

Riley sets her book bag down on the empty stool beside her. "That's really sweet. I'm sure Maisie enjoys the company. And—"

"Maisie?" I knit my brows together tightly.