Chapter eight

3rd Person POV:

Wendy sat with Dustin, Mike, Lucas, Nancy, Jonathan, Joyce, and Hopper by the inflatable pool in the middle of the middle school gym, watching with bated breath as El floated in the water with duct-taped goggles covering her eyes. They just had to make an impromptu sensory deprivation tank so El could concentrate more to find Will and Nancy's friend, Barb.

The gym lights flickered before shutting off, El's powers working as the walkie-talkie static started to become louder. It wasn't long before El found the body of Barb, repeatedly crying 'gone' over and over before Joyce comforted her.

"C-Castle Byers..?" El asked.

"Is he there?" Wendy asked.

It was a few seconds before El spoke again. "Will?"

Everyone didn't know whether to be scared or relieved.

"Tell him..Tell him that I'm coming, okay," Joyce said. "Mom is coming."

"H..Hurry.."

"Tell him to stay where he is, we're coming, we're coming," Joyce insisted.

There was some whimpering coming from the walkie-talkie before El suddenly sat up, throwing off the goggles, startling everyone.

Wendy grabbed a big towel and passed it to Joyce, who wrapped it around the shivering girl.

"What do we do now?" Jonathan asked Hopper after everyone stood up.

"You kids stay here, I will go get Will," Hopper said, going towards the gym doors before Joyce ran after him.

"Uh, here," Wendy awkwardly wrapped another towel around El. She then awkwardly gestured towards the bleachers, looking at Mike for help.

"Here, let's sit down," Mike guided El to the bleachers.

Dustin and Lucas sat near El, making sure to keep her warm, while Wendy placed her headphones on El's head so she could listen to Elvis. Elvis always calmed Wendy down, so he should be able to calm El down.

Wendy noticed that Jonathan and Nancy left the gym.

"Where are they going?" Wendy asked.

"Probably went out into the hallway," Mike sighed. "Nancy was really close to Barb, she's taking it pretty hard."

"I'll be right back," Dustin said while getting off the bleachers.

"Where are you going?" Mike asked this time.

"The cafeteria to look for chocolate pudding, I'm telling you the lunch lady hoards that shit!" Dustin called over his shoulder, Lucas running after him.

"I'm gonna show El around the school," Mike said, gently taking the headphones off of El's head and passing them to Wendy.

Wendy stared blankly at Mike while Mike gave her a pointed look.

"What?" Wendy asked. "Why are you staring at me?"

"I'm going to show her, alone," Mike emphasized. El looked between the two friends in confusion.

"What am I supposed to do?" Wendy asked in confusion.

"Go help Dustin and Lucas!" Mike said, almost desperately.

"You could've just said that, Mike!" Wendy said while getting off the bleachers. "God!"

Wendy put her walkman in her backpack, instead holding her wakizashi sword in her hand while heading to the cafeteria.