Chapter eighteen

3rd Person POV:

Wendy quickly sheathed her sword and couldn't help but throw herself into El's arms after Hopper dragged an angry Mike away so Mike could yell at him in private.

"I knew it!" Wendy said into El's neck, El eagerly hugged Wendy back before Wendy gasped while breaking the hug. "The Christmas present! I forgot it at home but I'll give it to you later when we're not about to die."

"She's been holding onto it the entire year," Lucas said when he and Dustin hugged El. "She wouldn't even tell us what it is."

"I'm not spoiling the surprise!" Wendy argued.

El giggled before noticing something, poking Dustin's mouth. "Teeth, you have teeth."

"Oh yeah, you like the new pearls?" Dustin asked, then made a purring sound, making El look at him in surprise.

"You're freaking her out!" Wendy told Dustin. She turned to look over her shoulder and grabbed Max's jacket sleeve to get her to come closer. "El, this is Max."

"I heard a lot about you," Max held out her hand to El with a small smile.

El looked at Max's outstretched hand and looked back up at Max, brushing her off and grabbing Wendy's jacket sleeve to lead the girl into the kitchen. Wendy quickly looked at Max and gave her a confused shrug. Wendy assumed El was shy around new people, she was when they first met.

"Love the new style," Wendy told El. "Very new, very cool."

"It's bitchin'," El said proudly.

"Bitchin'," Wendy repeated with a smile. "Never heard that phrase before, where did you hear it?"

El was about to answer when Hopper came back with Mike. They all explained what was happening to El. About Will, the Gate, The Mind Flayer, the demodogs.

"Can you close the Gate?" Joyce asked El hopefully. El nodded.

"But what about Will? He's technically a part of the Mind Flayer's army," Wendy piped up.

"Will said 'he likes it cold', so let's heat the son of a bitch up and get it out of him," Mike said.

"Leave that to me," Joyce announced firmly.

"I'm coming with," Jonathan said, Nancy following close after.

The Byers and Nancy left the house with Will to Hopper's cabin while El left with Hopper to Hawkins Lab to close the Gate. That left Steve, Wendy, Mike, Dustin, Lucas, and Max.

"Uh, a little help here!" Steve grunted, holding the dead body of the demodog wrapped in a sheet.

"Oh, uh, yeah," Dustin said, opening the fridge and emptying the contents before helping Steve fit the demodog in the fridge. The fridge finally managed to close.

"I hope Ms. Byers doesn't freak out too bad when she finds that thing in there," Wendy said.

"You're explaining it to her," Steve told her.

"No, he will," Wendy pointed to Dustin.

"Wha-why me!?" Dustin asked.

"You're good with that sort of thing," Wendy shrugged, going to the living room and plopping on the couch.

"I don't like this," Mike announced. "Sitting here and doing nothing!"

"Well, what idea do you have?" Lucas asked.

"When El closes the Gate, those things are gonna go straight to her to try and stop her," Mike said. "We have to lead the demodogs away if we want to get a chance to stop this thing once and for all."