Chapter thirty-four

3rd Person POV:

"What do you mean he just 'let you go'?" Max asked.

"He just..did," Wendy shrugged, sitting on the floor in front of the couch with her knees pressed to her chest. "He..he told me that we were sacrifices for a greater goal or something like that."

"Anything else?" Steve asked.

"He said that it's either me or Max," Wendy said. "One of us dies and Vecna gets what he wants."

Everyone groaned at that.

"Okay, but, we know where he's hiding!" Wendy quickly said. "Max and I can lure Vecna to the attic and then he'll be vulnerable!"

"He's surrounded by those bats-things to protect him," Eddie pointed out.

"So, someone lures those away," Wendy said. "He'll be a sitting duck, right there for the kill."

"Wendy's right, Vecna needs to die," Nancy nodded. "We could go to the gun store and get everything we need there."

"But Eddie is now a wanted man," Dustin pointed out. "The entire town is looking for him."

"Not if I wear a mask," Eddie said. He turned to Max. "Got anything I could use, red?"

Max thought for a moment before turning to Wendy with a small smirk, Wendy immediately understood. Michael Myers mask.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Everyone sat in a large field, preparing their weapons for the attack tonight. Steve and Robin prepared the Molotov cocktails, Nancy and Max started to saw off a large chunk of a shotgun, Dustin and Eddie were hammering nails into trash can lids for a shield, Erica and Lucas made spears, and Wendy sat alone inside the, stolen, RV while sharpening her sword.

Wendy couldn't get that vision out of her head. She's determined to make sure it doesn't happen.

A sudden knock made her jump.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," Steve said, entering the RV. "What's going on?"

"I'm..sharpening my sword," Wendy intentionally played dumb. She knew what Steve meant.

"You know what I meant," Steve rolled his eyes as he sat next to her. He took the sword out of her hands and set it down away from them. "You have this look on your face."

"What look?" Wendy looked at him confused.

"The look that says you're thinking something stupid," Steve said.

"Actually, it's my greatest idea yet," Wendy mumbled.

"No, no, don't do that," Steve shook his head.

"Do what?" Wendy asked.

"Where you purposefully be vague because you know it's a bad idea," Steve said. "Whatever you're thinking, get it out of your head, because we already have a plan and it will work."

The plan being: use Max as bait.

"No, it won't," Wendy shook her head.

"And you're so sure about that?" Steve asked.

"Yes, actually, I am sure," Wendy huffed.

"And why is that?" Steve asked.

"Because he showed me," Wendy admitted. She looked at her hands to pick at her fingernails. "He showed me, Stevie. Max dies if she goes through with this."

"Hey, look at me," Steve said, nudging her arm. Wendy looked at him, tears gathering in her eyes. "That won't happen."

"She's up in that stupid attic, her walkman is broken, and he breaks every bone in her body and kills her," Wendy said. "He knows what we're planning and it won't work."

"It will work," Steve insisted. "Everything in the Upside Down is connected to him, right? So, we push the right buttons and we make sure they hurt so he doesn't get a chance of hurting Max. Max will be safe inside her head with her memories and he won't get to her."

Wendy slowly nodded, slumping her shoulders a bit. A part of her wants to believe him, but there's still that part of her that just knows it won't work. Vecna tried to kill Max straight away, but why didn't he do that with Wendy? He wants Wendy to willingly sacrifice herself because he knows she'd put others before herself. She won't tell Steve her plan, she'll tell no one her plan. She needs to make sure Steve, Nancy, and Rabin are in the Upside Down at the Creel house to kill Vecna, she needs to make sure Eddie and Dustin are gonna distract those demo bats, and she needs to make sure Max stays safe. If it means lying, then she'll do it.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Wendy sat alone in the bathroom of the RV, taking deep breaths to prepare herself as she stared at the envelope in her hands with her name on it. She didn't technically promise Max she wouldn't open it, she just said that there wouldn't be an 'after' to open it. And Wendy was right, there wasn't going to be an 'after' with Max. Wendy opened the envelope.

'Dear Wendy,

Where do I even begin? You were the first girl to be my friend when I moved to Hawkins. Although we didn't have a good start at it in gym class, I think it was thanks to Dustin and his insistent need to include me in showing his new 'pet' Dart. But I remember when I first really noticed you, you were dressed as Wendy Torrance from The Shining, and to be quite honest, I didn't know Wendy was your actual name until we actually started seeing more of each other. I even heard you dressed as Wendy from Peter Pan one year. You like dressing up as characters with the same name as you, right Harrington?

I think you are a really great person, I feel so comfortable around you that I don't feel with anybody else. Maybe it's the way you talk and how you are always honest. Maybe it's the way you smile and how you always manage to put a smile on anyone's face in the toughest situations. Maybe it's the way you carry yourself and how you don't care what people think of you.

I think that's why I like you so much, Wendy. You never changed from when we first met, you never tried to be someone you're not. You never cared about your brother's title in high school and you never tried to be him, you are Wendy and that was enough for you.

I think us spending so much time together this year after everything that's happened, really opened my eyes to pretty much everything. I will always cherish our times together but I will never forgive myself for never telling you this in person. I lo-'

Wendy quickly put down the letter, her heart racing in her chest. Was this real? Wendy slowly raised the letter again and finished reading.

'I love you, Wendy Harrington. Not as a friend. I want to go on dates with you, hold hands with you, kiss you, and do all the things couples do because I love you. And I hope you do too, that way, in the next life, we will be together with no one to judge us because of what we are.

Love,

Max '

Wendy held the letter to her chest, trying, but failing, to hold back the smile. Max likes her back. That was everything to her, but that made everything so much harder for what she was about to do.

"Wendy! Did you drown in the sink or something?!" Dustin pounded on the bathroom door.

"I'm fine, Dustin!" Wendy called out, scrambling to fold the letter back up and shove it into her pocket. "Geesh, can't a girl give herself a pep talk in peace!?"

"We're almost there!" Dustin said through the door.

"10-4!" Wendy called out, rubbing her hands over her face and patting her cheeks twice.

"Let's do this.." Wendy whispered to herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oooooo, we're almost done!

Before this story ends, I wanna say that I'm very grateful you guys enjoy this book. Much love!

Leave a vote and comment what you think!