Chapter nine

3rd Person POV:

~October 1984~

Wendy held her baggie of quarters, sitting in the backseat of Joyce Byers' car. She doesn't play the arcade games, it's too noisy and too stressful for her, so she gives the quarters to the boys instead like always. Truthfully, the only one she could tolerate was pinball.

"Alright, if you feel like you want to go home early, do not be afraid to call me, same goes for you too, Wendy," Joyce said, looking at Will and Wendy.

"Okay," Will laughed, excited to go into the arcade. "Mom, we gotta go."

"And don't forget-"

"Don't bike in the dark, I know," Will laughed.

"I was going to say 'have fun'," Joyce chuckled.

"Thanks for the ride, Ms. Byers," Wendy said while opening her door and leaving the car.

"Wendy! Wait up!" Will called out, exiting the car too. The two of them waved to Joyce and met Mike, Lucas, and Dustin at the entrance to the arcade.

"Here," Wendy held up her baggie of quarters to Dustin.

"Holy shit, Wendy! How much is in here?!" Dustin asked, snatching the baggie and shaking it slightly.

"$7.25," Wendy answered with a shrug.

"How did you get that much?!" Lucas asked.

"I raided Steve's piggy bank," Wendy said, opening the door and stumbling back slightly at the loud noises of the games and people talking loudly.

"Won't he be mad at you?" Mike asked.

"That's if he notices," Wendy said, covering her ears with her hands.

Wendy followed the boys to watch them play Dragon's Lair. She only laughed when each one of them died from the dragon.

"God damn this overpriced bullshit!" Dustin cussed loudly as he slapped the machine. "Son of a bitch!"

"Nice try, but the princess is still mine," Lucas gloated.

"Whatever, at least I still have the highest scores on Dig Dug and Centipede," Dustin said.

"Are you sure about that?" Keith, a high school boy who works at the arcade, asked the party.

"No," Dustin said in disbelief. He took off running to the arcade machines, shouting in anguish when he saw his high scores were topped by someone named MadMax.

"Who the hell is 'MadMax'?!" Dustin asked Keith furiously.

"I'll tell you for a price," Keith said, looking at Mike.

"No, no way," Mike refused. "Forget it. You're not getting a date with her."

"Mike, we need to know!" Dustin begged.

"I'm not pimping out my sister!" Mike denied.

"She's dating my brother, so you're never gonna get that date anyways," Wendy pointed out to Keith.

"No one asked you, you look like The Scream painting," Keith said to Wendy.

"Hey! No one makes fun of her but us!" Lucas defended Wendy, Dustin behind the two of them and pointing to Keith while dragging his thumb across his neck.

"Just tell us who it is!" Dustin demanded.

"Get me a date with Nancy, and I'll tell you," Keith said.

Wendy noticed Will walking out of the arcade, so she looked at Mike and bounced on her toes to get his attention. When Mike turned to her with a confused look, she motioned to Will with her head. Once Mike understood, he gave a small nod to her and went after Will.

"Dustin, you better get your high score back with the quarters I stole from Steve or this is a waste of time," Wendy said to Dustin.

"Oh, I plan on getting my high score back, don't worry," Dustin scoffed, giving a dirty look to Keith and shoving quarters into the Dig Dug machine.

"Will, are you gonna help us?" Wendy turned to Will, who is now standing next to her.

"Yeah," Will said with a small smile and nod.

And so, the boys each took turns trying to get Dustin's high score back, Wendy watching with a smile and laughing every once and a while when a joke was said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you think Steve would notice if some of his change was stolen? 🤔

The boys are Wendy defenders, as they should. 

Also, Max is coming, yay!

Leave a vote and comment what you think!