Chapter twenty-seven

3rd Person POV:

Wendy helped Erica and Dustin lead Steve and Robin into the movie theater in the Starcourt Mall, 'Back to the Future' playing on the big screen.

"Okay, Erica, you stay here and keep an eye on them while Wendy and I try to call for backup," Dustin said.

"Shh!" A random moviegoer hissed.

"You 'shh'!" Wendy snarked. She turned to Dustin confused, speaking quieter. "Why can't I stay here and watch them?"

"One: you hate movie theaters, and two: fat chance I'm letting you out of my sight ever again," Dustin listed.

"Whatever, just go," Erica shooed them away.

Dustin and Wendy scurried out of the movie theater and out the front doors of the mall, Dustin holding his walkie-talkie in his hands as he tried to contact Mike.

"Mike, do you copy!?" Dustin asked repeatedly.

"Dustin! This is Mike! I copy!" Dustin and Wendy sighed in relief.

"Oh thank god man! I've been trying to get a hold of you forever!" Dustin said. "We're at the Starcourt Mall! We need you guys here right now!"

"Dust–you–reaking–p!"

"God damn low battery!" Dustin groaned. "Starcourt Mall! Starcourt Mall!"

The walkie-talkie died, making Dustin groan louder.

"Piece of shit!" Dustin cussed.

"Hey, at least we got in contact, they must be in range then," Wendy said. "Never mind the low battery part, they're close."

"Yeah, you're right," Dustin sighed. He turned to Wendy. "Hey, those Russians didn't..hurt you, did they?"

"Hm?" Wendy asked.

"Well it's just..Steve looks pretty beat up and Robin has a few scratches here and there," Dustin said carefully. "It's obvious signs of torture."

"Oh, well, I was tased a few times," Wendy mumbled, picking at a loose string on her shirt.

"Tased?" Dustin asked in shock.

"With the thing that looks like a cattle prod," Wendy explained.

"Wendy, those things are powerful," Dustin gasped.

"And they might have given me a very strong sedative as a torture tactic for Steve to make him think I was dying," Wendy added quietly.

"What!?" Dustin asked.

"But I'm okay," Wendy wasn't sure if she was trying to assure him or herself. "I might get a night or two of nightmares, but I'll get over it. Promise."

"Wendy, please don't hide your feelings, not from me," Dustin said then took a deep breath. "But I won't push you on it."

"Thank you.." Wendy whispered.

"Come on, let's check on the druggies," Dustin motioned towards inside the mall.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Wendy, Dustin, Erica, Steve, and Robin hid behind a counter, some Russians looking for them in the now-empty mall. Their footsteps came closer and closer and closer to their hiding spot, but a loud crash and a small shake of the ground happened. The Scoops Troop curiously peeked over the ledge of the counter, seeing the show car was flipped over.

"Holy shit," Wendy cussed, suddenly feeling giddy at the thought. There was only one way that the car went from A to B that quickly.

"Guys!" Dustin called out, seeing the rest of the party come towards them.