Chapter twenty-one

3rd Person POV:

"Wendy-Bird! Come in Wendy-Bird!"

"Can't I just tell him I'm okay, just busy at the moment?" Wendy begged as they all, minus Will and El since they were keeping a lookout, stood in Dustin's house.

"No, the whole point of surprising him is to not answer him at all," Lucas said as he and Max distributed the party horns.

"But I always answer his call," Wendy pouted slightly, holding the party horn in her hand.

"Wendy-Bird, come in, dammit!"

"Okay, but not to sound like I'm special, but if I don't answer him, he'll think something bad happened to me," Wendy said.

"What makes you say that?" Mike asked with furrowed brows.

"Guys, they just drove in!" Will said quickly hurrying into the hiding spot, El following right behind him with a wide smile on her face.

"Hellooo?!"

"Wendy, turn it off!" Lucas hissed quietly.

Wendy quickly turned off her walkie-talkie and waited with the others in the hiding spot, hearing Dustin barge into his house.

"Are you sure you have a full battery?" Dustin's mom asked kindly.

"Yes, mom, I'm sure," Dustin groaned. "No one is answering me! Not even Wendy! Something must have happened because she always answers when I call."

Wendy threw Mike an 'I told you so' look, Mike rolling his eyes.

"Oh, don't worry, Dusty," Dustin's mom cooed. "I'm sure they'll turn up soon. Now, I have to get back to work but tonight I promise to make your favorite dinner, deal?"

"Deal," Dustin sighed.

Dustin's mom left the house and Dustin stomped to his room, attempting to call his friends once again. Mike gave El the signal. El closed her eyes and made the toys in Dustin's room come to life, leading him into the living room. While his back was turned, everyone snuck out of their hiding place with a 'Welcome Home Dustin' sign and party horns in their mouths. Max silently counted down from three with her fingers, and after one, they all blew the party horns. Dustin screamed in fright and sprayed Lucas in the eyes with hairspray. Wendy jumped behind Mike and El in surprise.

"Holy shit!" Dustin cussed, throwing down the can of hairspray when he finally realized what was going on.

Max quickly guided Lucas to the kitchen sink to wash his eyes.

"Uh..surprise, welcome home," Wendy said while slowly coming out from behind Mike and El, then softly blew into her party horn, a weak fooo sound coming out.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Wendy sat on the kitchen counter as she watched Max practically hold down Lucas' head under the running water of the sink. Wendy held up the can of hairspray, reading the warning label.

"Good news, if you get it out of your eyes quickly enough, you won't need to go to the hospital," Wendy piped up.

"See, quit complaining," Max told Lucas.

"It burns!" Lucas whined as he was practically waterboarded in a kitchen sink.

"I think it would actually help if you try and open your eyes under the water," Wendy noted.

Lucas blindly grabbed the faucet sprayer and blindly shot water at both girls. He was trying to aim for Wendy but Max ended up as collateral.

"Lucas!" Wendy shrieked, jumping off the counter, her shirt soaked in water.

"Real mature, Lucas," Max hissed, grabbing the hose to put it away and continuing to hold his head under the faucet.

"I didn't bring a change of clothes," Wendy whined, hating the feeling of the wet shirt on her skin.

"You'll live!" Lucas called out.

"Guys, come on!" Dustin called out as he, Will, Mike, and El raced to the front door.

"What's going on?" Lucas asked as he lifted his head up from the sink.

"We're gonna try and contact Dustin's girlfriend!" Will called out.

"Girlfriend?!" Max, Wendy, and Lucas asked in shock.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Wendy tiredly climbed up the hill.

"How much farther!?" Wendy whined, wiping her forehead of sweat.

"Just a little bit more! We need to be at the highest peak of the hill!" Dustin called out.

"What do we know about his girlfriend?" Wendy asked.

"Her name is Suzie and apparently she's hotter than Phoebe Cates," Will informed.

"No one is hotter than Phoebe Cates," Lucas scoffed.

"Oh!?" Max asked, looking at Lucas with raised brows.

"Except you," Lucas panicked. Max scoffed and walked ahead of him.

"Uh, guys, we gotta go!" Mike called out as El held his hand.

"Are you serious!?" Dustin asked.

"Curfew!" El called out. Mike and El walked down the hill.

"They've been like this all summer," Will complained.

"It's stupid," Wendy said.

"It's a little romantic," Max said.

"It's bullshit," Dustin huffed. "I just came home!"

"Come on, let's get this thing set up already," Lucas sighed.

And so, they helped Dustin build Cerebro on top of Weathertop Hill. Once they were done, they all sat in a circle around the device as Dustin powered it on and switched it to the correct channel.

"Suzie, this is Dustin, do you copy?" Dustin asked on the radio.

No answer.

Hours passed by and still no answer.

"Maybe she's still on the way home," Wendy said as she was lying on the grass. "Or got tired and is sleeping."

"Maybe.." Dustin sighed.

"Maybe she doesn't exist!" Lucas said while standing up from the grass.

"Don't be mean," Wendy scolded Lucas.

"I'm being real!" Lucas argued. "We've been here all day and your 'hotter than Phoebe Cates' girlfriend has not answered."

"Suzie is real!" Dustin defended himself.

"Yeah right!" Lucas rolled his eyes, walking down the hill with Max following with an apologetic shrug to Dustin.

"I gotta get home or my mom will get worried," Will said apologetically to Dustin.

"Same here, Steve would kill me," Wendy said. "But, if it makes you feel better, I believe you about Suzie. I don't know about the Phoebe Cates part because Phoebe Cates is Phoebe Cates and no one can compare to her."

Wendy didn't notice that Will and Dustin looked at her with raised brows as she got up from the grass.

"I'll see you tomorrow Dustin! I promise if you call tomorrow, I'll answer!" Wendy said as she and Will went down the hill.

"You better!" Dustin shouted to Wendy.

"I will!" Wendy laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

👀 👀 👀 I have plans that I cannot share with you right now because the haters will sabotage me, I have plans that I cannot share with you right now because the haters will sabotage me, I have plans-

Leave a vote and comment what you think!