Chapter sixteen

3rd Person POV:

Wendy yawned loudly as she and the others waited in the bus, waiting for Dart to show up in the junkyard. It was starting to get dark outside.

"This is taking forever," Wendy sighed, laying down in a seat after giving Lucas back a solved Rubik's cube that she solved for the fourth time in the past ten minutes.

"Wendy, do you have a date for the Snowball dance yet?" Max asked.

"No, I'm not going," Wendy said with no interest.

"There has to be someone you want to go with," Lucas said.

"No..?" Wendy said with a scrunched face.

"I feel like she's lying, is she lying?" Max asked Lucas.

"Wendy is a bad liar, she tends to avoid it altogether," Lucas shook his head.

"Would you go with Dustin?" Max asked.

"Ew!" Both Wendy and Dustin said in unison.

"He's like a brother," Wendy cringed.

"What about Lucas?" Max asked.

Wendy lifted her head and looked at Lucas, both of them having matching faces of disgust.

"I would rather eat paint," Lucas said. Wendy nodded in agreement then rested her head back on the seat.

"Mike?" Max suggested.

"Now that would be a sight to see!" Lucas laughed loudly.

"Those two going to the dance together would be like trying to mix water with olive oil," Dustin laughed as well.

"I would rather eat my left shoe," Wendy said in a serious tone.

"What about Will? You two seem pretty close," Max said.

"Will is also like a brother to me, so, no," Wendy shook her head.

"Steve, you're her brother, don't you know who she likes?" Max asked.

"Don't ask me, she's a complete enigma," Steve grumbled at the front of the bus.

"Now that I really think about it, I've never seen Wendy have a crush on somebody," Lucas pointed out.

"No one in the school is of interest to me," Wendy shrugged. "I'm so bored!"

"Then go be bored up there, here," Steve tossed Wendy some binoculars, landing on her abdomen. She grunted in protest. "You're the first lookout."

"So bossy," Wendy grumbled while sitting up and going towards the ladder.

"What was that?" Steve asked.

"I said that you're bossy," Wendy repeated, going up the ladder and laying on the makeshift watching station.

Wendy sat in silence for almost an hour, wishing she had her walkman with her, occasionally looking through the binoculars to look at the surroundings in the darkening scenery. She started to get a weird feeling in her left side. It wasn't pain, it was just tingly. That was new. It was scary for Wendy. Something had to be wrong.

"Steve!" Wendy called out, descending the ladder.

"What's wrong?" Steve asked.

"Something's wrong," Wendy said, passing the binoculars to Lucas.

"Outside?" Steve asked.

"No, me," Wendy clarified.

"Lucas, keep watch," Steve pointed to the small door on the roof of the bus. Lucas nodded and went up the ladder to keep watch, Max following him. Steve grabbed a flashlight and motioned Wendy to come forward. "What's going on?"