Chapter twenty-four

3rd Person POV:

Wendy watched with crossed arms as Erica, Lucas' little sister, inspected the vent.

"Yeah, I don't know," Erica said, stepping away from the vent and looking at the Scoops Troop.

"You don't know if you'll fit?" Dustin asked.

"Oh, I can fit," Erica said. "I just don't know if I want to."

"Are you claustrophobic?" Robin asked.

"I don't have phobias," Erica shook her head.

"So then, what's the problem?" Steve asked.

"The problem is, I still haven't heard what's in this for Erica," Erica sassed.

"Ice cream of your choice?" Wendy suggested, making Erica look at her.

"I'm listening," Erica looked at Wendy to continue.

"Whatever ice cream you want for free," Wendy said, making Steve and Robin look at Wendy like she was crazy.

"Hmm," Erica said, a smirk growing on her face. "I knew I liked you for a reason."

Wendy looked at the others with a victorious smile.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Steve slid one of the many ice creams Erica chose in front of her. Erica slid it back.

"More fudge please," Erica said. Steve tried so hard not to get mad.

"At least she said 'please'.." Wendy whispered to her brother. Steve gave his sister a tight-lipped smile and got up to get more fudge for the ice cream.

Robin took out the map of the vents to explain the plan.

"You know what this half-baked plan sounds like?" Erica asked. "Child endangerment."

"Isn't almost everything we do child endangerment?" Wendy quietly asked Dustin.

"Yes, but let's not mention that to her right now," Dustin said, making Wendy nod.

"We'll be in radio contact with you the whole time," Robin said.

"Ah-ah! Child. Endangerment!" Erica protested.

"Erica, hi, uh, we think these Russians want to do harm to our country," Dustin said. "Great harm, don't you love our country?"

"You can't spell 'America' without 'Erica'," Erica said like it was obvious.

Wendy blinked and silently agreed with that statement. It was true.

Erica slurped her drink loudly over the rest of Dustin's speech.

"Ooh, I just got the chills," Erica said when she stopped slurping. "From the float, not your speech."

"You know what I love most about this country?" Erica asked. "Capitalism. Do you know what capitalism is?"

"Yes," Dustin, Robin, and Wendy said in unison.

"It means that this is a free market system," Erica continued. "Which means people get paid for their services depending on how valuable their contributions are, and this seems to me, my ability to fit into that little vent, is very very valuable to you all. So, you want my help? This USS Butterscotch better be the first of many, and I'm talking free ice cream. For. Life."

"Deal," Wendy said.

"Wendy!" Robin gasped.

"What? We need her," Wendy said, making Erica hum happily in agreement.