Chapter twenty-two

3rd Person POV:

Wendy sat very still on the couch when she heard someone calling her through the walkie-talkie.

"Wendy, come to my house right now!"

Wendy furrowed her brows at Mike's voice. She grabbed the walkie-talkie.

"Why? What's going on?" Wendy asked. "Is everyone okay?"

"Just come over and hurry up!"

"Would it kill you to say 'please' every once and a while?" Wendy sighed through the walkie-talkie.

"Ugh! Please?"

Wendy rolled her eyes and put down the antenna. She got up from the couch and put on her shoes, leaving her house to her bike. She left her walkie-talkie at the house, thinking she wouldn't really need it.

Wendy biked to Mike's house and parked her bike in Mike's garage. She entered the house and went into Mike's basement.

"Finally, what took you so long?" Mike asked as Wendy descended into Mike's basement.

"What's wrong with you?" Wendy asked with a scrunched face.

"Mike was told that he couldn't see El anymore and Mike lied to El saying his grandma is in the hospital," Lucas rolled his eyes as he sat on the couch.

"Why would you lie to her?" Wendy asked.

"I don't know! I panicked!" Mike said.

"And then El dumped his ass at the mall," Will said from his spot at the table, looking uninterested in this whole thing.

"So, then, why am I here?" Wendy asked.

"Lucas said I should get her a gift so she wouldn't be too mad at me," Mike sighed.

"You didn't answer the question," Wendy said.

"I need your help so I know what to give her," Mike said. "You weren't with Max today so I knew I could count on you."

"I still don't know why this involves me," Wendy said. "This sounds like a you problem."

"You're a girl, you should know what girls like," Mike shrugged.

"But Wendy never had a boyfriend so she wouldn't know what type of gift she would want," Lucas pointed out.

"Max breaks up with you, like, every other week, so don't talk to me," Wendy narrowed her eyes at Lucas.

"Max did dump him earlier today," Will pointed out. "At the mall. She was with El."

"What?" Wendy asked. If El and Max were at the mall, why was she left out? "W-why wasn't I invited?"

"I don't know, you girls always stick together," Mike said.

"I'm telling you man, girls are a different type of species," Lucas said.

"What is that supposed to mean?!" Wendy asked. "What are we, animals?"

"Can we play D&D now?" Will asked. "It's been forever since we played."

Wendy agreed with that.

"Wendy, are you going to help me or not?" Mike asked.

"No," Wendy answered with crossed arms.

"What!? Why not!?" Mike asked.

"Because you're being mean," Wendy said.

"How am I being mean?" Mike asked.