Chapter thirty-two

3rd Person POV:

Wendy sat on the stairs of the old and broken-down Creel house, pinching her arm every other minute to make sure she wasn't hallucinating. She has her own walkman this time, Max using her own.

Dustin cautiously sat down next to Wendy on the stairs.

"How are you feeling?" Dustin asked quietly.

Wendy shrugged, placing her headphones around her neck to hear Dustin better.

"I don't know," Wendy muttered.

"You never really told us what you saw," Dustin said.

"One of my fears.." Wendy said, using her thumbnail to trace the lines and ridges of her flashlight. "It felt so real, Dustin. I can barely believe that this is real.."

"Hey," Dustin nudged her arm gently with his elbow. "We'll figure out a way to stop him."

"I know," Wendy said quickly, giving herself another pinch. "It's just..the way he spoke, the way he held me, he had this..this power to him. He said that you guys couldn't save me 'this time'. I don't even know what that means!"

"It doesn't matter what he said," Dustin said. "What matters is we find where he's hiding and we kill him. Right?"

Wendy nodded with a small sigh.

"Uh, guys," Robin caught everyone's attention, her flashlight gradually getting brighter. "Please tell me you're seeing this."

"Remember what Ms. Byers said when Will went missing?" Nancy asked, seeing Robin's flashlight getting dimmer and then her own flashlight getting brighter.

"Will talked to her through the lights," Wendy said. "But then this must mean-"

"Vecna," Lucas realized. "He's here."

"Headphones," Max and Wendy said to each other.

The two of them quickly put on their headphones and the sounds of their favorite song blared into their ears. The group followed Vecna's presence into the attic, Wendy getting shivers down her spine at the realization that the Creel house was his personal lair in the Upside Down.

"You think he has an army of demodogs and demogorgons guarding this place?" Wendy couldn't help but ask. "Maybe things we haven't seen yet.."

"I'd rather not think about that right now," Nancy said as all of their flashlights got brighter and brighter and brighter in the center of the attic.

In the blink of an eye, one by one, their flashlights exploded in their hands. Everyone cried out in shock and shielded their faces from the flying glass, but Wendy wasn't that lucky. A shard of glass managed to nick her cheek.

"Oh great," Wendy huffed, feeling the blood run down her cheek. "I find out I'm gonna die, we find out where Vecna has his evil man cave, now I got a stupid scratch from an exploding flashlight! Today fucking sucks!"

"Quit fussing and let me see," Steve said trying to get a look in the dark but Wendy kept moving her head. "Stop moving!"

"It hurts!" Wendy insisted.

"It'll hurt less if you let me have a look!" Steve said while grabbing her chin to hold her still. Wendy hissed as he wiped off the blood and pressed into the cut with a tissue he had in his pocket.

"Not like you'd be able to do anything, it's too dark in this creepy place," Wendy grumbled. "I swear I saw a momma spider walk her million spider-babies from the living room to the kitchen on a house tour."