Chapter fifteen

3rd Person POV:

Wendy cringed at the raw bloody meat that she, Steve, and Dustin had to use for bait. She's wearing gloves, but it still felt weird. She trailed behind Steve and Dustin on the train tracks, tossing different size chunks of meat alongside the tracks to hopefully lead Dart to the Junkyard.

"Wendy!" Steve called out.

"What?!" Wendy asked irritably from the cold meat.

"Dustin and I are gonna have guy talk, don't listen!" Steve said.

"Okay, I guess," Wendy scrunched her face. She purposefully tuned out Steve and Dustin's voices, looking at the scenery around her with the occasional toss of meat chunks.

"So, you knowingly kept something that was dangerous to impress a girl?" Steve asked.

"That is oversimplifying what happened," Dustin said.

"Why would she like some nasty slug?" Steve asked.

"An interdimensional slug? Because it's awesome," Dustin defended.

"Well, even if she thought it's cool, which she doesn't, I don't know, I feel like you're trying way too hard," Steve said.

"Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, alright?" Dustin asked rhetorically.

"It's not about the hair, man," Steve denied. "The key to girls is just..just act like you don't care."

"Even if you do?" Dustin asked.

"Yeah, exactly, it drives them nuts," Steve nodded.

"Then what?" Dustin asked.

"You just wait," Steve shrugged then looked over his shoulder to make sure Wendy wasn't listening, which she wasn't. Was Steve really about to give Dustin advice to ask out his sister? "Until you feel it."

"Feel what?" Dustin asked curiously.

"It's like before it's gonna storm, you know," Steve said. "You can't see it, but you can feel it, like this, um..electricity, you know?"

"Oh, like the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere-"

"No no no no, like sexual electricity," Steve clarified.

"Oh," Dustin said.

"You feel that then you make your move," Steve said.

"So that's when you kiss her?" Dustin asked in hope.

"Whoa! No no no!" Steve said quickly. Steve doesn't think he can handle his sister kissing someone, even though he's trying to help her right now. "Slow down there, Romeo."

"Sorry.." Dustin muttered.

"I mean, yeah, some girls want you to be aggressive, like a...like a lion. But others like it slow, stealthy, like a ninja," Steve said.

"So what type is Nancy?" Dustin asked.

"Nancy? She's different, she's not like other girls," Steve said.

"Yeah, she seems pretty special, I guess," Dustin sighed.

"Yeah, she is," Steve agreed.

"But this girl is special too, you know? There's just..something about her," Dustin said.

"Whoa whoa whoa, hey," Steve stopped Dustin from walking.

"What?" Dustin asked.

"Are you in love with her or something?" Steve asked. He was prepared for a confession of a crush on Wendy, not full-blown love.