Chapter twenty-three

3rd Person POV:

"So, you stayed at the hill late at night, knowing bad things happen to people when they stay out late at night, and intercepted a Russian message through Cerebro?" Wendy asked, pacing the small back room of Scoops Ahoy.

"Uh huh," Dustin nodded.

"And so far we got 'The week is long. The silver cat feeds when blue meets yellow in the west. A trip to China sounds nice if you tread lightly.'?" Wendy asked once more.

"Correct," Dustin nodded once more.

"But we have no idea what it means," Wendy said.

"Nope," Dustin shook his head.

"This whole thing sucks," Wendy whined, sitting on the steel chair.

"Yes, it does," Steve said through a mouthful of sandwich.

Wendy sighed and mindlessly flipped through the Russian to English dictionary, the pages fanning her face slightly.

"The music sounds familiar though.." Wendy mumbled.

"Thank you!" Steve said loudly.

"Of course, you Harringtons think alike!" Dustin teased with mock disgust in his voice.

"I figured it out!" Robin burst through the doors. "It's talking about the mall!"

"Huh?" Wendy asked with a brow raise.

"'Blue meets yellow in the west', that's the clock out there. 'A trip to China sounds nice', that's the Chinese restaurant out there too!" Robbin flailed her hands about. "They're planning on doing or shipping something to the mall, we just have to find out what and why."

"Something we can do tomorrow, I'm tired and hungry," Wendy sighed.

"Me too!" Dustin and Steve said.

"But good job, though, Robin," Wendy added with a smile. "But what about the music?!"

"The music is probably nothing, let's get food," Dustin said while standing up.

Steve passed Wendy some cash and Wendy and Dustin left Scoops Ahoy to look for food.

"What are we feeling today? Pizza, burgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, sushi, french fries?" Dustin listed as he pointed out the food joints.

"That pizza place sounds good," Wendy shrugged.

"Alright!" Dustin cheered, the two of them walking to the pizza place.

Dustin got a slice of pepperoni pizza while Wendy got a simple cheese pizza slice.

"Not bad, could be cheesier," Wendy noted as they both sat at a table in the food court.

"Agreed," Dustin nodded. "Maybe if they used a brick oven, it would've turned out better."

"Oh, definitely," Wendy said.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

The mall was closing, it was time for everyone to leave and go home. It was only Wendy, Dustin, Steve, and Robin in the empty mall.

"Hang on, does anyone have a quarter?" Steve asked as he stood by the tiny carousel horse ride for a singular child.

"Uh," Robin felt around her pockets, finding a quarter and tossing it to Steve.

"I think you're a bit big for that," Dustin laughed.

"Just shut up and listen," Steve said as he put the quarter in the machine.

"Rude.." Wendy pulled a face.

"What exactly are we listening for?" Robin asked as they surrounded the machine.

"That," Steve said, the song playing. Wendy looked at it with wide eyes.

"That's the song in the tape!" Wendy said. "But..how could that be?"

"Because the message wasn't coming from Russia, it came from here," Steve said.

"This just got scary.." Wendy muttered. She felt better earlier when she thought the Russians were in Russia because they're Russian, but now they're actually here in Hawkins? That sent a chill down her spine.

"Scarier and more complicated," Dustin said. "Tomorrow, we gotta check out what's so important about the locations."

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

"I knew I should've brought my umbrella.." Wendy shivered in the rain. Yes, she wore her raincoat, but she would've preferred her umbrella. "The weatherman said it would be a light rain, not this much rain! Liar."

"Focus, you dork," Steve jerked her raincoat hoodie back, making the girl yelp and frantically try to protect her hair from the rain. "And keep quiet."

"It's raining, they won't hear us," Dustin said.

"Shouldn't you two be at home in bed?" Robin asked Wendy and Dustin.

"For what? So that you two get all the glory? I don't think so," Dustin shook his head.

"There's no way I'm staying home alone in the house when there are evil Russians hiding in town!" Wendy said. "That's like a horror movie waiting to happen!"

"Out of all the things we've experienced, you draw the line at evil Russians?" Dustin asked.

"...Yep!" Wendy nodded.

"Will you shut up?!" Steve hissed, smacking the back of Wendy's head.

Wendy smacked him back and the two went back and forth hitting each other until Robin and Dustin made them stop.

"You two can't stop bickering and fighting for, like, five minutes?" Robin asked.

"Believe it or not, this is them being a lot nicer than a few years ago," Dustin said, making Steve and Wendy nod.

"She used to bite me," Steve said.

"And he used to throw me in the pool when I would sleep," Wendy added.

"Oh shit, get down!" Dustin gasped, all four of them ducking down behind the ledge.

"What happened?" Wendy asked, slowly peeking her head over to see.

"I thought I saw someone," Dustin said, doing the same.

"They're delivering something," Wendy said to Steve, who quickly took out the binoculars.

"Let me see," Dustin said, reaching over Wendy to Steve to grab the binoculars.

"Get your own," Steve smacked his hand away.

"Let me see, Steve!" Dustin hissed.

"No!" Steve said, the two of them fighting over the binoculars. A part of the binoculars hit the side of Wendy's head and in turn, they dropped the binoculars over the ledge with a loud clang.

Everyone ducked down again, hoping they weren't caught. Wendy rubbed the side of her head but noticed the way Steve and Robin were holding hands. She gave a small look to Dustin, who shared it.

"He so likes her," Wendy mouthed to him.

"Oh definitely," Dustin mouthed back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll do my best to get more b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ chapters out as soon as I can!

Leave a vote and comment what you think!