Chapter 14

~Cair Paravel~

We all make our way out of the water and put back on our shoes to explore what Edmund had just seen.

Once we get to the top of the hill we see old parts of a building broken down and has moss growing on it.

I look at the tree growing next to the ruins and see that it has red apples on it. I try to grab it but I am just a hair short.

"Need help?" I smug voice says from behind me.

"Nope, I am almost there," I say getting on the tip of my toes. I touch the apples and lose balance and I fall. I expected to hit the ground but Edmund caught me.

"Falling for me?" Edmund smirks

"In your dreams," I say as he puts me back on my feet. He grabs the red apple with ease and tosses it to me. He then winks and walks away. I ignore the odd feeling in my stomach and keep looking around the ruins.

"I wonder who lived here?" Lucy ask.

I keep walking until I notice something shiny on the ground. I pick it up and it looks so familiar like I have seen it before. After looking at it for a little a memory pops into my head.

"Edmund I don't understand," I whine

"You'll get it, I promise. Chess isn't that bad," he smirks.

"I just don't get why you have to protect the king so much. He can't really do any special moves like the Bishop. So why if I lose the King its game over?"

"Think about it like this. The queen is the most powerful piece in chess. She can move vertically, diagonally, and horizontally. She can protect and defend anyone."

I nod my head.

"But the King has the most value. Even though he can't move much."

"Okay, but I still don't get why the queen is so powerful."

Edmund moves over to my side of the chess board and grabs my queen to do a demonstration.

"The wisest choice is usually to play the queen. Everything depends on how you approach the game. The queen has many faces, but one of them is always a winner. Make the queen your friend if you want to succeed." Edmund explains while moving the queen around.

"I think I get it now," I say with a smile.

"You know you kind of remind me of the queen in chess."

"Maybe because I am one," I point out.

"The queen is always more powerful than her adversaries. She doesn't have to engage in combat with every man she can endure. In chess, the queen never gives up and keeps going." Edmund explains.

"Thanks, Ed," I smile. "Okay, I think I'm ready."

"Great let's play another round."

I snapped out of my memory and came to a realization. 

"I think we lived here," I say.

Peter, Lucy, Susan, and Edmund walk over to me. They all look at the golden chess queen that I found.

"Hey, that's mine...from my chess set." Edmund points out and walks closer to me.

 "Which chess set?" Peter asks.

 "Well, I didn't exactly have a solid gold chess set in Finchley, did I?" Edmund sassed. I hand out the queen to him and grab it.

"Thank you," he mutters.