Eighteen

-𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓦𝓲𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷-

"Do you have any idea what Kalayavan actually looks like?" Aanya cheekily quizzed Arjun.

"Oh, absolutely! I even managed to arrange a personal meeting with him just to catch a glimpse of his face. You know, all for the sake of enlightening you," Arjun replied sarcastically, a mischievous gleam in his eyes.

Aanya playfully raised an eyebrow, shooting back with a tight smile, "Really now? I wonder, who could be scarier, you or that fearsome demon?"

Arjun couldn't help but chuckle at her, turning towards her with a mock serious expression. "Not us, it was you," he quipped.

Aanya's tone grew sly as she spoke. "Well, if by any chance Kalayavan pays us a visit, I might just consider offering you as a tempting bait!" she playfully threatened.

Arjun scoffed, rolling his eyes in mock disbelief. "Oh, and you think he would listen to you, huh?" he retorted, unable to hide his amusement.

Aanya confidently nodded her head, determined to prove her point. "Yes, indeed," she affirmed with a mischievous glimmer in her eyes.

Arjun couldn't resist the opportunity to tease her further. "Oh, my apologies, I completely forgot that you're none other than the great grandmother of demons," he mockingly declared.

Aanya shot him a glare, raising an eyebrow in response. "And you are the legendary grandfather of mischief," she quipped, playfully folding her hands in front of her with a smirk on her face.

Arjun chuckled at her remark. "That's quite the title you have given me."

"Oh, yes, you absolutely deserve it," Aanya said, narrowing her eyes playfully.

"Actually, it suits you more than me, the queen of mischief," Arjun teased.

"I'll proudly accept that title," Aanya said, pretending to wear an imaginary crown on her head.

While they were bantering, Arjun suddenly interrupted. "Aanya, do you hear a voice?"

Aanya straightened herself, a puzzled look on her face. "What voice?"

"Shhh, listen carefully," Arjun said, trying to suppress his laughter.

Aanya furrowed her brow and scanned their surroundings. "Aap ke kaan baj rahe hai."

"Nahi, Aanya. Dhyaan se suno," Arjun urged.

Feeling slightly uneasy, Aanya expressed her desire to get down. "I want to get down."

"But-" Arjun started before nodding to signal everyone to halt and lower the palanquin.

Approaching her, Arjun extended his hand, teasingly asking, "Are you scared, Aanya?"

"I'm not scared," she replied, her gaze sweeping across their surroundings.

However, as Arjun's expression turned serious upon hearing the rustling of leaves, an unsettling feeling washed over both of them.

"Aanya," he called out, stepping closer and holding her protectively. He turned to face the direction of the sound, sensing that someone was watching them.

"I can protect myself," Aanya asserted, freeing her hand from his grasp.

Arjun, concerned, warned her, "Not the right time to joke, Aanya."

"I'm not joking," she lightly nudged him on the shoulder.

Arjun shook his head with a smile. "Sure!"

Feeling increasingly uneasy, Aanya instinctively moved closer to Arjun, seeking comfort and reassurance.