Thirty Five

-𝓦𝓱𝓲𝓼𝓹𝓮𝓻𝓼 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓗𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽-

"Aanya," Arjun called out softly, finding her lost in her own thoughts. He noticed that she had been unusually silent since the morning, and it filled him with concern for her.

Aanya looked up at him and nodded for him to continue, her eyes reflecting a hint of vulnerability and weariness.

"Would you like to rest and take a break?" he asked her gently, his voice filled with warmth and care.

Aanya shook her head, resting her head on her knees as she closed her eyes, letting out a sigh. The dream from last night had left her disturbed, and she wished she could ease it from her memory.

As fatigue took control of her, she closed her eyes. She woke up when she felt the palanquin come to a gentle stop, looking around with confusion, her thoughts still lingering on the unsettling dream.

"Jeevika," Aanya called out softly, her voice tinged with a touch of uncertainty.

She looked at Arjun as he extended his hand with a reassuring smile. "We will rest here for a while," he informed Aanya, his presence offering her a sense of comfort.

Aanya hesitated for a moment before placing her hand in his, finding reassurance in his touch. Arjun gently helped Aanya out of the palanquin, making sure she was steady on her feet, showing his care for her without words.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his concern evident in his eyes.

"Yes, I am," Aanya smiled, though it seemed forced to Arjun, who knew her well enough to see through the facade.

"Such a liar," Arjun said, shaking his head.

"Who's talking?" Aanya rolled her eyes in mock defiance.

"What did I lie about?" Arjun frowned, trying to hide a smile.

"Do I need to remind you, Anklet thief?" Aanya teased, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Arjun sighed, "You are not forgetting that soon, right?"

Aanya nodded her head, taking her hand back from his grasp. She made her way to the shady area and sat down under the tree. Arjun watched her for a moment before leaving to check on his horse.

Aanya sat down, scribbling on the sand, letting her thoughts wander. After some time, she felt Arjun sitting beside her.

"Will you stop staring at me?" Aanya said, looking up at Arjun, as a smile tugged on her lips.

"Sorry, I can't help myself," he said, grinning ear to ear.

Aanya raised her eyebrows and gently placed the back of her hand on his forehead. "Are you alright there, Arjun?"

Arjun nodded, a hint of confusion in his eyes.

"Because you're not teasing me or making any comments," she teased.

"Can't risk making you angry again, can I? What if you unleash your fury on me? And there's no one here to save me!" Arjun said, feigning fear.

"And you're right back at it," Aanya chuckled, shaking her head in mock exasperation.

Arjun couldn't help but break into a smile as he looked at her, the corners of his mouth lifting in response to her infectious laughter.

"Okay, let's play a game," Aanya said, grabbing his attention with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"We are not kids, Aanya," Arjun protested, shaking his head with a smirk on his face.

Aanya gasped dramatically. "I knew it! You were an old man lying about his age," she teased, shaking her head with feigned disappointment.