Eighty

𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮, 𝓛𝓲𝓮𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓛𝓾𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓫𝓲𝓮𝓼?

A dramatic cry escaped Aanya's lips as she surveyed the scene. Aashvi, their little whirlwind of energy, stood in the center of the room, a vision of chaos. Crimson powder dusted her hair, clung to her clothes, and even managed to stain her cherubic cheeks.

"Kaun se paap ki saja de rahe ho Kanha mujhe?" Aanya muttered, a helplessness in her voice.

"What did you do?" Aanya asked, her voice softening despite the sternness.

Aashvi, oblivious to the impending bath time that awaited her, tilted her head in confusion. "I was dancing," she declared, her voice filled with the unbridled joy of a child lost in the revelry.

"With colors?" Aanya questioned, a hint of amusement creeping into her tone.

"No, it itself came on fell upon me," Aashvi replied, her logic as flawless as it was nonsensical.

Just then, Arjun entered the room, his laughter barely contained. "Looks like someone had fun," he said, his gaze landing on their daughter.

Aanya whirled around, a glare aimed at him. Arjun's grin faltered for a moment, but then he burst out laughing again, the sound washing over the room like a warm summer breeze.

"Pick me up!" Aashvi pleaded, tugging on Aanya's saree.

Aanya sighed, a mix of exasperation and endearment coloring her voice. "I don't want to get colored by you," she teased, already knowing the inevitable bath time battle that awaited.

"I thought you liked to get colored," Arjun chimed in, his voice laced with a hint of mischief. He leaned towards Aashvi, his eyes twinkling. "Do you mind if I pick you up, Ashi?" Ashi, the one who brings you joy.

Aashvi's face lit up, and she readily extended her arms towards him. Aanya watched as Arjun scooped their daughter up, the picture of a playful father and his adoring child.

As they disappeared into the room next door, Aanya couldn't help but let out a soft sigh. Filling the gap of twelve years wasn't easy. Three months had passed since Arjun's return, and they were still taking tentative steps towards rebuilding their life together. But with each passing day, each shared laugh, each stolen glance, the invisible walls crumbled a little further.

Aanya wasn't naive. Insecurities, like weeds, had taken root in her heart during his absence. The once familiar space they shared now held a subtle awkwardness, a lingering fear that whispered doubts in her ear. Sleeping together in the same bed, once a source of comfort, now felt like a territory to be navigated with caution.

A glance at the bed, a battlefield of scattered toys and dolls, confirmed her observation. With a resolute sigh, Aanya began the task of cleaning, a small act that mirrored the larger task of rebuilding their life together.

As Arjun re-entered the room, a comfortable silence settled between them. He informed her that Aashvi had drifted off to sleep after being scrubbed clean. Their eyes met in the reflection of the mirror as she straightened from her task. A hint of a smile played on his lips as he moved towards his desk, the corner of his eye crinkling as the soft clinking of her bangles filled the room. Aanya watched him through the mirror, tons of emotions swirling within her, a tremor of apprehension, a flicker of rekindled desire, and an unwavering hope for the future they were slowly, beautifully building together.

Aanya continued removing her jewelry, the clinking of bangles, and the soft rustle of her silk saree. The only sounds that dared to break the simmering tension. Her movements were deliberate, each piece carefully placed on the dresser as if each action needed its own deliberate thought. All the while, her gaze remained fixed in the mirror, a reflection of the turmoil brewing within her.