Seventy One

-𝓐 𝓓𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮 𝓸𝓯 𝓓𝓮𝓼𝓲𝓻𝓮-

A soft sigh escaped Arjun's lips as he slipped into their chamber. The flickering lamplight illuminated a sight that warmed his heart, Aanya, fast asleep on their bed. Her unbound hair cascaded like a dark waterfall, contrasting with the pristine white sheets. But it was her tiny feet, dangling precariously off the edge of the mattress, that truly stole the show. They peeked out from beneath the covers like a pair of forget-me-nots yearning for the ground. A smile bloomed on Arjun's face.

He tiptoed closer, the soft glow highlighting the glint of her jewelry. He shook his head, "Oh Aanya," he murmured, "you'll wake up complaining those heavy anklets tangled your sleep."

He contemplated the dilemma before him. Should he tuck her wayward feet back under the covers? But disturbing her sleep felt like a crime. He considered calling for one of the attendants to remove the jewellery, but the thought of her stirring awake at his command was equally unappealing.

Suddenly, a sleepy voice, laced with a hint of amusement, broke the silence, "Why are you hovering over me like a lovesick bumblebee, Arjun?"

Startled, he straightened up, a blush creeping up his neck. "Well, Aanya," he stammered, "it seems you've claimed the entire bed for yourself. There's barely any space left for me, a humble husband."

Aanya peeked at him from under her lashes, a playful glint in her eyes. "Then perhaps the floor would be more comfortable for Rajkumar Arjun?" she teased, her voice thick with mock concern.

"This is my chamber too, you know," he countered, a smile tugging at his lips.

"Indeed," she replied, with a theatrical sigh. "But that doesn't give you permission to block my sunlight."

He chuckled, shaking his head at her quick wit. His gaze then fell on the jewelry adorning her. "Why are you still wearing all those ornaments?" he asked gently.

"Because," she mumbled, her voice muffled by the pillows, "the thought of untangling them all seems like a monumental task at the moment."

"And calling for an attendant?" he inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"They'd make me sit up, and that would ruin the perfect nest I've built," she grumbled.

Arjun's eyes twinkled with amusement. "A brilliant reason, my clever wife," he teased, rolling his eyes.

Aanya, sensing his amusement, shot him a glare. "Well," she huffed, "if it bothers you so much, perhaps you, my great husband, could offer some assistance?"

His playful facade melted into a smile filled with adoration. "Me?" he feigned shock, clutching his chest dramatically.

"Of course you!" she said, a smile dancing on her lips. "Who else would I call upon in my hour of need? Besides," she added with a wink, "a thousand attendants or my one and only husband, the choice seems clear, wouldn't you agree?"

Arjun surrendered with a chuckle, his heart brimming with affection. "Alright, alright," he conceded, raising his hands in defeat. "Anything for my lazy princess."

Arjun moved with a slow, practiced grace, each step a whisper on the plush carpet. He knelt beside the bed, the air thickening with a silent tension that crackled between them. Aanya, caught between amusement and a burgeoning awareness, extended a hand towards him, her fingers brushing his in a spark of electricity.

He began with the bangles, the metal cool against her skin as he gently unclasped them, one by one. The soft clinking echoed in the hushed room, each chime a subtle challenge to her composure. Aanya, surprised by the sudden intensity, opened her mouth to protest, but the words died on her lips. Her gaze locked with Arjun's, and in their depths, a fire flickered to life.