Seventy Six

-𝓤𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓵 𝓓𝓪𝔀𝓷 𝓑𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓴𝓼 𝓐𝓰𝓪𝓲𝓷-

Aanya stirred awake, the remnants of sleep clinging to her like cobwebs. As she turned, a pleasant soreness shot through her, a sweet reminder of the passionate storm that had raged the night before. Her gaze drifted around the room, taking in the scattered sheets and the musky scent that hung in the air, tangible traces of their intimacy. A blush crept up her neck as a self-conscious smile tugged at her lips.

But a disquieting emptiness settled in her stomach as she noticed Arjun's absence. Had he not returned yet, or...? A hazy image flickered in her mind, a memory of him slipping out sometime during the night. Uncertainty gnawed at her. "Did he leave again?" she whispered to herself, the question echoing unanswered in the quiet room.

With a sigh, she pushed back the covers and rose, the soreness a dull ache now. After a quick bath, she ventured out, hoping to find him. The halls were silent, devoid of the usual morning bustle. An unsettling quiet hung in the air, the weight of unspoken worry pressing down on her.  The dining hall, usually overflowing with activity, was deserted. A frown etched itself on her face. Where was everyone?

Pushing open the doors, she found the room abuzz with a different kind of energy. Gone was the usual jovial chatter, replaced by hushed tones and worried glances. Faces etched with concern turned towards her as she entered.

"Is everything alright?" Aanya asked, her voice breaking the tense silence. Draupadi's eyes widened in surprise, while Bheem nodded his head slowly.

"And where's Arjun? I've been looking for that man since morning," Aanya muttered with a huff, the worry momentarily forgotten.

Draupadi exchanged a worried glance with Bheem, as he signed her not to tell her.

"Jyestha Bhrata," Aanya began, "Do you know he was not here the whole night?"

Aanya's playful demeanor faltered. "What? Why are you all so serious? At least tell me what's going on. I'm not getting a good feeling," she pressed, a tremor creeping into her voice.

Draupadi reached out and placed a comforting hand on hers. "Arya Arjun is gone out, Aanya. He will come back," she reassured her, though the worry in her own eyes betrayed her words.

Aanya nodded slowly, her heart pounding a frantic rhythm against her ribs. "But where?" The question hung heavy in the air, a silent plea for answers.

Draupadi hesitated, her gaze flickering between Aanya and Bheem like a flame caught in a draft. Bheem let out a heavy sigh and stepped forward. His voice, usually booming with the confidence of a hundred lions, was now low and laced with concern.

"A Brahmin arrived last night, distraught," he began, his eyes filled with a deep sympathy for the woman before him. "Cattle Rustlers had stolen his cows, his entire livelihood. Arjun couldn't bear to see the man suffer. He felt compelled to help, even though..." Bheem trailed off, leaving the rest of the sentence hanging in the air, a heavy weight pressing down on them all.

Aanya's brow furrowed. "Even though what?" she pressed, a knot of unease tightening in her stomach.

Sahdeva spoke up, his voice barely a whisper. "He went to the armory last night, when Jyestha and Panchali were present."

Aanya's eyes widened in realization. A shared look passed between her and Kanha, a silent question hanging heavy in the air.  The pact. The foolish pact they'd made to maintain peace within the palace walls. A single transgression meant exile. Panic, cold and sharp, clawed at her throat. "Why didn't anyone stop him?" she whispered, her voice barely audible.