12

I am convinced that I have enough stress to kill me. Or at least cause wrinkles that'll stress me some more. I'd rather die young and pretty than get old and grey with botched cheeks so just kill me, basically.

It's my first and last time at a Goldenlux Academy students' week so I didn't know what to expect.

The number of students that the Academy had was nothing compared to public high schools but today, the number of participants for the events skyrocketed. Students from other schools, parents, and pretty much the whole city was welcome to enter for a whole week. It's a miracle we even fit in the building.

I was asked by Quincy to fetch two more boxes of posters in the janitor's room for the third time in the day and it wasn't even noon yet. A waste of paper, if you ask me. My hair was messily thrown into a ponytail and my jacket kept sliding off my shoulders. My underboobs were sweaty and my phone kept ringing in my pocket, to my additional annoyance. I grunted as I laid the boxes on a table for distribution. I fished for the ringing device in my pants and answered a call, stupidly ignoring the caller's ID.

"Hel—"

"Rose! Get to the horror booth quick. I need your help."

Sean's voice was frantic before he hung up, leaving no room for protest. Groaning, I pushed through the ocean of people and climbed my way to the second floor, getting to the makeshift horror booth.

The front of room 205 was unrecognizable with black and red drapery and Halloween decor. A corny 'Enter if you dare'sign hung above the door. A table was set at the entrance for tickets and rules. The door opened, the smell of cheap fake blood making me cringe. Sean's head popped out. Correction, Sean's bloody head.

"Come inside," he hissed, pulled me in, and locked the door.

The room was surprisingly scary enough. They turned the room into a maze using dividers and fabrics. The lights were crappily covered with red crepe paper for a reddish glow. In the background, a speaker played looped horror music.

I didn't have too much time to look around when red hair was thrown on my head. I was about to ask him what the fuck he was doing when his explanation cut me, "We're two people short," he spoke frantically, "There's a long line outside and reserved runs. We haven't started yet."

He muttered a colorful string of curses as he removed my jacket for me and shoved a bloody white gown into my hands.

"Just try to look scary."

"No—"

"Thanks, break a leg."

The man pushed me into a corner and left. I shrugged the gown on. Now I'd rather carry boxes for Quincy. After putting my costume on, Sean came back with thumbs soaked in fake blood.

"Sean, no! No, no, no."

His fingers trailed down my cheek, leaving lines of red across my face.

"Fuck you," I muttered as he left once again.

It didn't take long until the first group entered. By the time the thirteenth group finished, my back was aching and my throat was sore from screaming. I managed to scare some kids—one even cried, but I'm dressed as a used tampon so you can't really blame him.

"I'm starting to think that freshmen girls only come here for some time in the dark with you," I said to Sean as I drank some water during the ten-minute break.

"They do," he poked my bloody nose, "But hey, it keeps the money rolling in.

"I'm supposed to man the information kiosk after lunch. Can I go now?" I lied but he'll never know since he's too busy here anyway.