33

I hate meetings—they're boring.

But it had to be done. Prom was nearing and we needed to discuss it—make a clearer visualization of what exactly the night will look like.

I didn't see Nikolas either because he had matters to attend to with the school owner, Mr. Ramsford. I didn't have anything to look forward to half of the week other than Sean's swim meet.

Nick and Bianca are about to leave too and won't be back till Tuesday the next week so I planed to keep myself occupied with the prom tasks.

The school's parking lot was nearly empty when I got out of the car. Jeric and Jie stayed to wait for Aiden and Sean didn't even attend. I've been talking to Jared like I always have but this time kinder. I was determined to get him on my side.

I scanned the parking lot and my eyes fell on Nikolas waving at me. For someone who, according to students, doesn't go out of his office often, I run into him quite a lot.

"You're back," from Mr. Ramsford's meeting, I said as I walked up to him.

"I just got here," he told me, nodding at his car, "I'm picking something up at my office then I'll be on my way home."

"And I won't get to see you till next week," I added.

He smiled, "You can text."

"I'll text you when I'm bored," I said.

"Is that what I am? Pastime?" the corners of his lips twitched upward.

"Yes," I smiled sweetly, "For when I'm not busy with aspects of my life that don't involve you."

"Uh-huh," he said indifferently, "Well, I'm gonna go get my things."

"Can I come?"

"Knock yourself out," Nick said as we started towards the building, "But the guard's making rounds so don't try anything."

And I saw that, indeed, guards were making rounds around the campus. Two of them were in Nick's corridor and one was checking each room. There was also a janitor mopping the floor. It certainly wasn't the perfect time for a goodbye quickie.

"I'll wait here, sir," I spoke politely only to receive a mocking smile from Nick.

Fortunately, Nikolas didn't take long. A minute later, he reemerged from his office and locked it behind him, stuffing the key in his pocket. We quietly made our way out of the building and back into the parking lot.

"Damn it," I said, "And I thought I was going to get dick before you leave."

He laughed at that as we made our way to the cars. I liked the day then; the sun's not as hot as a few hours ago and the breeze was nice and cool.

"Well, I don't have to be home in..." he glanced at his metal wristwatch, "Two hours."

"Nikolas, I swear to god, if you bring me to a motel, I'm gonna smack—"

"I was thinking of coffee, Rosaleen," he cut me off, looking amused as he did so.

I scoffed and failed to suppress the grin on my face, "Are you asking me out?" I teased.

"Wow, louder, please," he replied sarcastically. Nick anxiously scanned our surroundings and after noting that we were out of anyone's earshot if there was anyone around, he continued, "And no, I'm not asking you out. I'm married," he held his hand up, flashing his shiny ring.

"That didn't stop you from eating my—"

"God, can you get any louder?"

I ignored that. Smiling sweetly, I spoke, "Remember that hidden cafe I brought you to?" I took my phone out and texted Jared, saying that I had to stay overtime at school to help with prom matters. "Let's go there."