17

Mr. Camillo would make a great businessman. All throughout the tour, even I was convinced that Goldenlux Academy was the best place on earth next to Disneyland. He was charming and polite, kind and intelligent. I'm sure even Mrs. Marithe, the fifty-five year old woman with greying hair and round specs, swooned.

I, on the other hand, let go of all the negative vibes in my entirety for an hour. It almost killed me, but at least Mrs. Marithe thinks I changed my life path into becoming a saint now.

Nikolas kindly agreed to excuse me from the classes I missed. Personally.

After bidding Mrs. Marithe and her minions farewell, I followed Nikolas to my Social Studies class which was one hour into discussion out of its two-hour period.

"You think we did well?" I asked as he followed close.

"Old women are the easiest to please," he commented.

It reminded me of our time with my mother, "That sounded wrong but okay."

We stopped in front of the room. I raised my fist, ready to knock on the wooden door when Nick stopped me with his words.

"What were you gonna say earlier? Before the phone rang. You were gonna say something. What was it?"

I turned around to face him. His stare never fails to give me the same effect, no matter how many times I've drowned in his golden pools before.

"I was gonna say that I think you..." don't love your wife as much as you think you do, especially when I'm here now. I thought of an alibi, "should clean your office because it's ashier than 2000s popstar makeup."

I knocked on the door and heard my teacher's "Yes?"

The day fell boring. The only exciting things always involved Nikolas. I would've died in boredom in the school if it weren't for him. There's Sean too, I thought, but he wasn't the type I'd get obsessed over.

After Nikolas excused me for being an hour late in Social Studies, I tried hard to listen to a lecture about debates. At dismissal, I met with Aiden for a quick chat before walking to the parking lot and to my car.

"Rose!" Maia's voice called out. Turning, I came face-to-face with the girl. Her purple sling bag fit right across her body and in her arms she hugged a binder against her chest.

Her perfect, thick, and smooth hair fell down to her waist. Her thick brows were naturally arched perfect to fit her face.

"What's up?" I put my bag in the car and shut the door.

"Sean and I are going to this concert Friday night," she smiled tightly. "He told me to ask if you wanted to come. He'd really like it if you come," she smiled some more.

"Why me?" I crossed my arms, "Shouldn't it be, like, a date for you two?"

"Yes, actually," she breathe out, "But he insisted on bringing you along."

"So? Are you coming?" her eyes widened in anticipation." It's okay if you can't make it," she added.

"No thanks, Maia. You two enjoy it. Tell Sean I said thanks and sorry." Maia's shoulders dropped in relief but I pretended not to notice.

"That's okay," she waved dismissively. "Another time, maybe?" she started walking away, "Bye, Rose!"

-

Charlotte stood in the middle of our kitchen in baby pink pajamas. Her hair was in a messy bun and her face was makeup-free. White AirPods were in her ears and she swayed to whatever music she was listening to as she whisked the eggs in the bowl she held.