Chapter 1

"Quickly Draco, we have to hurry," Narcissa begged her son to find whatever he was searching for so they could apparate to safety.  Lucias would be banging on the door at any moment, his words slurring due to rage and firewhiskey.  He had become even more of a monster since the battle, his anger always bubbling beneath the surface of his cool exterior.  He felt no remorse for unleashing his suppressed rage onto Draco and Narcissa, whether it be a hex, insults, or even a physical hit.

"I'm trying, Mother.  If I use an Accio charm it could disrupt something and he'll hear us.  If that happens, then we might as well be dead."  Draco desperately opened every cabinet in the elegant study of the Malfoy Manor, swearing under his breath at every empty drawer.  Finally, he found it; a golden ring, fine script engraved on the inside ring.  His eyes softened, staring at the thin ring in the palm of his hand.  

"You bitch! Where are you?!"  Lucias's words were slurred, but there was no hiding the hatred in his voice.  Narcissa and Draco looked at each other, knowing they had only seconds for their plan to still work.  Draco clenched the hand holding the ring into a tight fist, took hold of his mother's arm, felt a familiar yet extremely uncomfortable sensation, and opened his eyes to find he was finally free.

*

            Hermione swept her tongue over the outside of her mouth only to encounter the metallic taste of warm blood on her now swollen lower lip.  She cursed in frustration before standing up and brushing the dirt off of her muggle clothes.  What once had been a decent pair of jeans and a button shirt were nothing more than an impressive display of gaping holes and grass stains.  She knew this would not be easy, but she was on the verge of deeming it impossible.

            "You're not trying!  I swear, if you put half the effort you put into your schoolwork into learning Quidditch you would be a professional."  Ron was trying desperately to lighten Hermione's mood, noting her obvious frustration.  Ron, Harry, and Ginny looked down at Hermione from their broomsticks, having given up returning to the ground to see if she was okay after the seventh fall. 

            "You realize this is different!  I'm going to end up breaking my clavicle one of these days just in an effort to play a game with you three."  Harry and Ron exchanged confused looks, only to return their lost stares to Hermione.

            "The clavicle is your collar bone.  How thick are you two?"  Hermione rolled her eyes in mock frustration, the smile evident on her face.  She loved her friends, especially now that that was all her and Ron were.  She couldn't ignore the fact that her and Ron had shared wonderful chemistry during their last few years at Hogworts, and while searching for Horcruxes.  They had grown incredibly close, their platonic friendship blossoming into a promising romance.  That being said, the two were content to remain friends, not wanting to risk losing their valued friendship, especially after everything they had endured together.

            "We can call it a day if you want, I'm starving.  I'm practically light headed I've eaten so little today."  Ron frowned sincerely and gazed at his stomach, oblivious to everyone's incredulous stares.

            "Ron!  You've eaten three full meals, snacks, and had two butterbeers today, and it's not even noon," Ginny exclaimed.  Her and Harry shared a loving gaze, only for Ginny to turn a violent shade of pink and turn her head to hide her toothy grin.  Hermione was so happy for what Ginny and Harry had, but a part of her longed to share that sort of love with someone.  Someone who would cause her to blush just from a look, who would love her unconditionally for all she was and hoped to become.  With a sigh, she returned to her original state of mind, one that was focused on how she would tell her friends about the letter she had received from Hogwarts.