Chapter 10

"Just sit next to me, Hermione. It'll be a subtle way of telling your dear old pals that we're friends now," Draco smirked while standing in front of the fireplace. The castle had already become chill as autumn began to creep upon them.  Hermione looked out the window to see the grass stiff due to the morning frost, though it would soon melt when the sun warmed the earth in the afternoon.

"Draco, I don't know...can you imagine how they'll react? Or even worse, how Ron will react?" Hermione's eyes widened at the prospect. "No, Draco, this is definitely not happening. If Ron finds out you and I don't exactly hate each other, he'll have a fit. Maybe we could sit with them on the train to Hogsmeade this weekend? I'll admit, it'll be a little uncomfortable at first but it'll be good for everyone," Hermione saw Draco's playful smirk disappear at the thought of sitting with her friends.

"It won't be that bad, I'll be there," Hermione rolled her eyes playfully. Draco looked away, only to return her gaze with a mischievous grin plastered on his face.

"Deal, but on one condition," Draco took a step closer, his eye contact unwavering. When he was only a few inches from her face, he scooped her hands into his.

"You and I have a date this Saturday. Anywhere you like, but it's been a few weeks since we've been friends, Hermione. It doesn't have to lead to anything too soon, but I just want to have a chance to talk to you." Draco's eyes were soft and loving, making Hermione's knees feel week.

"Right, because you never have the chance to talk to me, since we only live together," she rolled her eyes yet again and took her hands out of his. Draco did not seem deterred.

"It seems like a fair trade to me. Think of the horrible insults I'll get from Weaselbee." Draco plastered a fake, melodramatic frown on his face, causing to Hermione to throw her head back in laughter.

"Fine. One date, but that doesn't mean it's a romantic one; just two friends having dinner. Deal?"

"Perfect. Want a Butterbeer?" His nonchalant manner almost hid the fact that inside he was bursting with excitement. This Saturday he would be on a date with Hermione Jean Granger.

She watched him walk away, wondering if he was as excited as she was. The past few weeks had been great. She and Draco had kept their friendship fairly discreet in the classes they had together, in an effort to avoid any speculation. Once in their dorm they were able to talk freely, staying up until five in the morning numerous times, laughing on the floor in their pajamas talking about everything and anything.

She wrapped her fingers around her locket to feel the slow movement of the gold details. She opened it to no longer find the picture of a dove, but none other than Draco Malfoy smiling at her.

"Do you want your Butterbeer cold or hot?" Draco yelled from the kitchen. Hermione quickly shut the locket, her cheeks blushing furiously.

"Hot, please. Thanks, Draco."